And you thought Millennials were cray? An article.

I read this and it got me thinking…a lot of my younger friends are exactly like this and apparently it’s a generational divide?? It’s surprising because I must have missed this marker by just a hair…

But anyway here I present to y’all the new generation!! Defined by the remarkable invention called the smartphone…a true double edged sword that may be destroying a generation, according to The Atlantic:

Share!! What are your reactions?? :kissing_heart:

Who the fuck is Jean? And why does he or she contact 13 year old girls to talk about what they like to do with their friends??? That is the real cray here.

Very good point…I hadn’t thought of that loool :stuck_out_tongue:

My husband and I thought it was rather funny. The 16 year old is kicking hard to counter almost every trend they mentioned; he is attached to his smartphone and tech though.

Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Yes, they have. Bottom-line. End of story.

My reaction to it is that I don’t even need to read the article because all I have to do is go out into the street and see it first hand.

Which I have for the last 10 or 15 years and it’s sad and pathetic.

My only hope is that perhaps we will learn something about social spaces and the importance of presence in them.

Because, in a sense, it’s all we got. Destroy those and you have effectively destroyed the world.

My hope is that the generation after the Millennials will have a true reaction to what has happened and counter it.

I have very little hope in Millennials as a generation.

Which makes me sad. But, that’s truly how I feel based on what I’ve seen of their ways.

I’m also angry at them.

I find it hard to believe that a group of people could be so superficial and vacuous.

So easily amused.

So meh.

God, I hate them.

And while we’re talking about smartphones destroying a generation, you can throw Facebook in there too.

How much time has this Millennial generation wasted on Facebook?

Pathetic.

sadly it didn’t only effect millennials
speaking of Facebook

Social networking use among internet users ages 50 and older has nearly doubled—from 22% to 42% over the past year.

Half (47%) of internet users ages 50-64 and one in four (26%) users age 65 and older now use social networking sites.

my thoughts.

can’t blame the millennials.
who invented smartphones and tablet? did millennials? no.
who is responsible for raising these millennials?
who bought these millennials smartphone and tablet?

kids are byproduct of their parents. so who’s to blame?

also, this older generation complaining about newer generation is nothing new.
nothing new at all.

in the future, when self driving electric car becomes prominent,
“we had to pump our gas at gas stations! and we had to pay so much for our insurance! you have it easy!”

when drones starts to fly people in the future. when drones start to ship products
"we had to wait 2days for Amazon prime to deliver to our front door! TWO DAYS! now it’s only Two hours!"

if we can start typing with thoughts, also with batteries that charge by itself using newer technology
"we had to tap this piece of glass with our fingers! and we had to charge our phone so often, sometimes it would die! we had to carry around portable chargers for emergency! you have it easy!"

when you can do literally everything online including sex using virtual reality machines
"we had to use dating apps and meet them in real life! and we had to face disappointment because pictures look better than reality! we couldn’t do everything through virtual reality! we had to actually go on a date outside to keep the relationship somewhat going!"

but also. I’m looking forward to technology advancing to that point where we can complain about luxurious old days.

Ya’ll suck at rebellion too. You’re supposed to tell the establishment to fuck off and go your own way, not keep whining around and then bend over :grin:

they are nowhere. in my town we have a CCs coffee shop thats always freezing cold. the grand 16<—barf. and its always from behind a steering wheel. then every now and then there is a huge reaction like a farmers market which is great. but somehow it’s so loaded. everyone is so enlightened, radiating like crazy, juice costs 8 dollars a tiny cup.

where to hang out. where to walk. where to meet someone without them like freaking out you’re going to see their boring house so you meet like twice a year. why are people going to home depot all the time and they don’t meet.

and um why is it so hard. why are people managing like this. how do people even open their eyes day to day. i want to keep mine closed any time going from point A to point B if driving is involved

God people of the Maze, can you not give a solid article in one of the more legit publication in existence today a solid read and contemplate it?

Here’s who jane is @Ankh

she’s a researcher in psychology:

she’s written about the impact of technology on these generations:
http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780743276986

and this article itself is an important one because Jean has a tendency to deal with data MUCH better than most people do. READ THIS ARTICLE TO SEE HOW SHE TEARS SHIT UP IN THE WORLD OF MYTHS ABOUT HAVING BABIES after 35.

This researcher is one of the good ones, doing actual work to make people understand what we are doing to ourselves.

It’s not millenials, it’s not their parents, it’s humans. Like cats. We will sleep if we can sleep. We will drive if we can avoid walking. We will stop fucking if we can avoid fucking. We will stop eating real food if we can avoid eating food. We will stay in if we can avoid going out. We will stop working to keep relationships that are imperfect if we can find perfect relationships online. The Maze is a part of this phenomenon – and so is the apparent success of prediction among astrology and MBTI; the internet connects us to the information we like and we can avoid making friends the way we used to or running into the data that doesn’t fit our story; we used to work for relationship with people we met simply by promixity; we used to flail and fail for connection with all those gross people who have warts and different worldviews and live on our street.

There is something afoot here that is not cyclical and that is problematic. This is a good article

Fuck ing read it All You God Damned Ni users. lol.

ETA FE!!! :sweat_smile:

Ha! Someone says it! Thanks for this @johnonymous:clap:

I read it!! I just never investigate more about the authors lool. On a good day I may remember the name of one of the authors of an article I read :sweat: Your post tells me I should probably actually learn more about the people writing the things I read too…

The links you posted to Jean’s writing look really interesting, I may give them a read…

It’s not so much that I’m blaming the Millennials. It’s not their fault. But, that doesn’t matter. Because they are the generation that has inherited the world. I mean, if you really want to get into blame, I blame the media the most. But, what is the media? It’s not any one person.

It’s not really blame that I’m personally expressing. It’s more emotions (or as imrl asked for - reactions).

I’m basically just saying what I’ve personally seen and experienced. I don’t need to see more metrics and articles.

Yes, I know that Millennials have parents and I know they didn’t invent smartphones or Facebook.

However, it doesn’t matter. They are the current inheritors of the world.

Blame is besides the point. Each generation can blame their parents for the shitty things they did, but it’s more about responsibility than blame. In short, whose responsibility is it if you had a shitty childhood? You’re the one that has to live with it. You can blame your parents all you want. But, who is responsible for flipping the script on that shit? You.

And the point really is that the Millennials (and the post-Millennials) are the ones in the spotlight. They are the ones that have the most ability to change the world at this point, and in the coming years.

It doesn’t matter if they didn’t invent the world they live in. Of course they didn’t. If they did, I would probaly be less mad at them because I’d be like “well, they created all this stuff, so that must be what they want.”

But, I don’t get that sense. I get the sense that Millennials are very unhappy as a generation and they do very little about it except whine and complain and post to Instagram.

They participate and drive the whole media thing instead of truly rebelling. They feed into it. They put up with it.

It’s like “dude, put down your phones and tablets and Facebook accounts and fucking do something different.”

I’m only saying it’s pathetic because that’s the way I feel about it. I’m not blaming them. But, they are still the ones most responsible for changing up this dynamic if they aren’t fulfilled by it.

The kids. Enough blaming your parents. [quote=“supernokturnal, post:8, topic:373”]
also, this older generation complaining about newer generation is nothing new.
nothing new at all.
[/quote]

No, it’s nothing new. However, that doesn’t mean you gonna get out of this shit that easily. :unamused:

They are, Erika. They were the ones building smartphones and Facebook to enslave an entire generation. They have been focusing like a motherfucker.

Also, Millennials are pretty bored with their lives. More so than any previous generation. How do I know this? All I do is walk outside down to the local cafe or grocery store or any place of business where Millennials work and I look at the totally unengaged and unhappy expressions on their faces. They’re exuding “this sucks, why do I have to be here?”

And I’m thinking “you suck, you are here because you chose to be”. So, man up and give me a fucking smile and have a nice day and all that shit.

Or tell me to go fuck myself. But, don’t just sit there like a whiny petulant child and exude shitty vibes all the live long day. Do something. Rebel.

Life is an adjustment period. The human species is an adjustment period. But, we live now and so who knows what the fuck is going to happen in the distant future. I mean, people talk about how the human species may one day not be around anymore. I could give a fuck. We’re here now.

Presence.

That is what is so lacking in today’s world. People are not present. And I have seen this change with my own eyes, not in reading endless articles about it. I don’t need to read about it. That’s part of the problem. Too much reading shit on the internet.

You know, for any viewpoint, opinion, even fact, you can find it on the internet. It’s missing the point.

It’s all so tiresome. “O, look what I found, another slipstream of data to support my point-of-view”. I guess I’ll post it on Facebook (or Stellar Maze) and call it a day. Well, that is until I find a new piece of data to support my point-of-view".

I’m actually more interested in hearing about people’s real experience from their point-of-view.

We live in a sea of fucking information. There is so much information and metrics and sound bytes. It’s tiresome.

Yeah, that may be true. I’m hopeful in that I do see a recent shift in this thing of the last 15-20 years and it all has to do with Trump winning the presidential election. That was pretty much the reintroduction of presence into the world in a big way.

Of course, a good deal of the younger generation is whining about it based on a sea of dick-sucking bad and fragmented information.

The problem with Millennials is they don’t recognize their saviors when they see them. And meanwhile, they suck off the very ones who are enslaving them.

When Trump has the audacity to call out the fake news media (directly to their fucking faces no less) he is taking an action on behalf of this generation. He is setting free from enslavement to a sea of bullshit, lies, and deception.

Stop being so preemptively positive! I’m still not seeing it. I’m tentatively hopeful, but, I’m not going to blow my load yet.

Why is this an either/or thing? I can harp on Millennials and fuck them at the same time. I call “false dichotomy” on you. :grimacing:

So nobody’s gonna follow me into an ice cream shop let alone a rebellion, but allow me to pile on in effete reaction. Fuck. One specific instance that drives me crazy is how people I used to think of as anti-corporate and political and “woke” in today’s awful parlance fall tonsils deep into this crap. Like how can you go from reading Naomi Klein and thinking malls are bad cause they’re privatising the public space and it’s bland and air-conditioned and you can’t protest there to “Oh Faceplant, bathe me in your totally benign algorithms, there’s no time just trepan the antennae right into my head, she and me and thee we are the World.” Give me back the Berlin wall already.

Like I don’t know if via negativa actually constitutes a way of rebellion, it’s kinda unsatisfying and lonely and as far as I can tell no one looks at my abstention from social media and says I’ll have what he’s having. Part of the problem surely is that the boomers guinea pigged all the ways RebellionTM can be bottled and sold, it’s hard to see past to where growing vegetables and walking to the story-telling pit is the bee’s knees.

Is it that people are really submerged in the Short Now and what’s around them and can’t zoom around in time and imagine how it might be different? Like I guess there’s TV and Instagram where Ni used to go.

Sorry. Too busy looking at cat photos.

I put a huge grasshopper in your car. Good luck with those yellow lines.

The media is: a (slow) search engine homing in on Fi/Fe instead of Te/Ti (like most fast search engines, e.g. Google).

Used to take months to identify what was selling ads for the media but increasingly it only takes hours to give the searchers what they are searching for. Some day soon it will settle into a strategic spot closer to google’s instant search results than to the old journalist model.

(Financial news does that already, like if you google a stock a robot writes a shitty article pretending to say something about it. Feels like All the other subject matter is getting there a different way by training the writers to think and produce like robots. Inbound marketing, hubspot :japanese_ogre:)

Form articles abound in almost every publication.

Boomers didn’t see the world as a lost cause and invent smartphones and social networks, because WTH, might be fun to watch it burn.

You bugged my car?

That’s alright, I’m on house arrest, so I can’t go anywhere anyway.

But, thanks for telling me, I’ll have my limo driver remove at his first opportunity.

And in retaliation, I thought you should know there is a bat-eating centipede en route to your house. It should be arriving in your vagina around midnight.

Well, midnight to 4 am, to be precise.

And if it doesn’t arrive in that 4-hour window, we might have to reschedule for a later date.

In any event, sweet dreams!