Dude, what's up with the Iphone X?

@johnonymous what’s your view on tech and gadgets like these?
do you keep up with them?

Help type these YouTubers

I lost interest after being obsessively engaged a few phone generations ago. Not sure why I lost interest.

Here’s a thing I wrote a while ago, will give you a sense of my perspective in 2011. As round the time I wrote it I was talking to a friend who was calmly claiming that he liked physical books and I was like, nah, digital is way better.

And he was like, “maybe,” but then would destroy my arguments. I believe he was an entp who was a decade older and a lifetime wiser. In a piece of fiction of his that I read in like, ploughshares magazine (WHICH MEANS SOMETHing) I recognized he was just a lot wiser than me. Never let me suspect that though. Hes also more ninja like. Has a cooking habit. Takes navy showers as he calls them. Maybe ISFJ. Okay. So.

Okay so.

This will give you A sense of where I was.
Not so much what I wrote but that I actually fucking wrote it.

February 2011:

Cutting edge mobile tech over the next 9 years.

Feb of 2012: [ ] Near Field Communication and [ ] phone as wallet.

Feb of 2013:
More powerful phones that are smaller and integrate to our larger screens when needed, greater adoption of earpieces and voice-to-text capability. Powerful tablets replacing notebooks and laptops.

Feb of 2014: High quality earpiece for voice search and voice-to-text social updates. Occasional use of in-body or on-body healthsensors, which constantly communicate to the computer/phone—primarily for at-risk healthpatients and for early adopters interested in health data tracking. Light flexible screen for input/output in addition to voice-to-text. Essentially, today’s phone is divided into parts, putting the flexible, light screen and battery in hand and the part we don’t want to be holding—the small computer—on our wrist or belt. All the pieces communicate with each other as if a single device and keep content in the cloud.

Feb 2015: Central computer and handheld screen begin to increase battery length withclothing static, body heat, and wearable solar.Personal (worn) computer integrates with public and private screens (and linked in objects)based on proximity, giving mobile users larger and easier input/output on the go. Coffee shops employ smart tables that pull user’s settings from worn computer. Taxis and public transport lose TVs in favor of subscription or ad-drivenworkstations which connect to and temporarily import settings from user’s device.
Industries: Clothing tech, smart appliances and smart furniture, Smart Cars, and always encryption.

Feb 2016: Information begins to pass from stranger to stranger and friend to friend by proximity. Status updates, networking opportunities, and currated content are shared in the streets between two people who pass. If my settings are to share my first name with everyone and my first and last name with strangers who are connected to my friends or family, others who pass me and my device will know my name is John when they pass, or will know my name is JohnOnymous and also that I’m a friend of their friend So-and-so. Walk past aperson on campus, and if she wants you to have her info (“settings: reveal phone number to Friends, Friends of Friends; reveal email to strangers”) you’ll have her contact info and can message her then or later. If she wants you to, you’ll know if she’s single, you’ll know what she likes, and you’ll know who your mutualconnections are. You’ll know you in fact went to the same high school (that’s why she looked familiar!). If she’s a direct connection, you might see more specific updates (“Headed to Salt Lake later, $10 gas charge for riders”).Continued growth of popularity in health tracking and in or on-body sensors.

Industries: Encryption, privacy, and social networks that allow for much greater customization and categorization of sub-networks of friends and content (most likelyfacebook continues to dominate and develops greater privacy customization).

Feb 2017: With the help of rockstars androckstar investors, glasses become screens and display information overlays. I pull up a listing of my schedule or an email on my lense. Fifty feet from someone who is also linked into the network I can access a black and white photo of them, their name, our shared contacts, our shared interests, their status updates. As we approach each other our data hovers around us in each other’s augmented field of vision. We have options to store each other’s contact info—an augmented business card exchange.

Industries: Encryption, Mobile advertising,someone skilled in designing and introducing a completely new class of devices (APPLE).

Feb 2018: Proliferation of smart glasses, higher quality displays. Becomes a primary mode of information lookup, though not entertainment yet. Powered by clothing friction, solar, and body heat, rarely needs charging, monitors body signs through facial contact or ear sensors. I transmitinformation in overlays that hover around me to strangers–JohnO, writer, friends with your friend so and so. If they went to Utah State University, they see I am also a USU grad.“Selling guitar” (only for those who play guitar or are looking to buy one), “seeking a partner for new b2b startup” (to be seen by 2nd order connections with stated interest—on their profiles—in particular niche concept), “Saykeyword to see my credentials, say keyword to send resume, say keyword to schedule virtual meeting or chat over coffee.”

Big Industries (besides devices): Much of advertising does, despite the fact that this is so often only a buzzword, take on a Transmediabent, and “advertising” almost loses it’s meaning as the consumer/product relationship becomes much more about driving behavior through social connection and building a corporate narrative within a city. If poets make good copy writers, Novelists will make good augmented reality advertisers. As always, Encryption becomes ever more important. Virus protection and anti-hacking industries are going to explode, as more and more private health information is stored digitally, and as in-body network-connected sensors continue to becomeaccepted.

Feb 2019: popular adoption of this smart-glasses tech and of augmented information sharing begins to cause dramatic cultural shift.

I could walk past a stranger in need of editing for their book, they could immediately see reviews of me by connections of theirs for whom I’ve worked, know my rates, transmit their project needs to me, and by the time we’ve taken fifty steps past each other I could suggest we turn around and grab coffee to nail down the particulars. I’d go home and do the editing on my own large screens, though it would still be powered and pulling content from my cloud-based profile and wearable central devices.

Increasing content-aware objects. No more video screens at subway entrances—now the cities invest in walls and screens that look one way to me and another to you. For me, the times square ads show only things I’m interested in. For you, the taxi fleet is running an augmented reality ad for a ballet as part of your subscription to a high-culture magazine. The taxi companies take a share of the ad revenue for allowing their vehicle markers to be augmented into some dramatic and invigorating dance scene. Some of the strangers you pass over the next four dayswear logos that are reminder notices of theballet show with an invitation to buy tickets right then. They are not wearing that clothing; they are receiving a small kickback for wearing tech clothes that transmit various images to various viewers depending on the viewer’s interests/subscriptions. They are giving companies access to their information overlayand are paid for it or receive discounts for it.

2020: Augmented reality culture leapfrogs tolower classes through subscription subsidization.

Blech
Such shit
Luckily Ne means I didn’t think about it for much longer than it took to save it to my email inbox

woah…

this must be like the … the super Ne.

and you wrote this in 2011? wow.

i guess the augmented reality is AKA virtual reality right?

do you have any predictions such as this with other things? this is very interesting.

your predictions are like 90%~95% accurate.

maybe you should hit the stock market man.
Ne is like the best for that. and Se is the worst at stocks.

my Ne buddies are killing it at stock market. i really think you have the potential to kill it.

okay. so i’m curious.

what do you think will happen to gas prices in the future?

what do you think will happen with this North Korea constantly threatening with nuclear missiles?

what is your prediction of AI domination?

what about our jobs? what type of jobs will increase and what type of job will be completely annihilated?

what about marijuana? will it be legalized in all of the states and take over the market?

Fun questions !!!

I think gas hit a max probably in the past. i bet it will rise with inflation and seasonally sure as it does but probably it’s found an approximate balance where the perceived value of High mileage engines overcame the initial costs of building a manufacturing base to support a future of increasingly fuel efficient vehicles and that is an equation that can balance actual consume price paid per mile into the future for basically ever.

So the effective price is basically flat now and probably will stay that way.

I don’t know about whether someone should invest in oil though. Because I would say that is going to be more an issue of the companies and how well they avoid catastrophe in the future as they become steadily less and less the foundation of any given pissed off social media mob’s life.

I think non nuclear war will happen. I have been taking with navy recruiters as a result lol. Nothing like a war to help me get somewhere like the Senate Or something :slight_smile:

I second this, @johnonymous! Damn dude.

I’ve been buying defense stocks.

@johnonymous What’s your take on Bitcoin? I’ve done pretty well on bitcoin trust this year, but may stay out of it now

basically this:

lol

I also really liked this one:

loyalty points for being alive

Seeing these videos (maybe on this forum a while ago?) Made me realize how AR is a nightmare

probably also posted by me. whops haha

On Bitcoin I think it’s a smart long term buy still because it’s not too far away from cash with regard to liquidity and it’s more secure. And for like the next 15 years the traditional banking system which doesn’t have anonymity and security baked in but bolted on will continue to experience the sorts of hacks drive people wth cash savings absolutely fucking crazy. Like Panama papers + Equifax every year until it’s not news anymore but that it is not news doesn’t change that for individuals it will be problematic. Like problematic for powerful–disproportionately impacting people with money, people making large transfers of money, and people who are attempting to evade publicity as they move their money. Therefore it’s likely that block chain currency won’t be crushed by any great political force and basically probably would be more mainstream if powerful wealthy people felt it was somehow to their benefit to make it more mainstream. And over time it will make more and more sense to transfer money around that way making traditional banking seem absurdly risky to some. Then banks will buy those kinds of ideologies. Like in the last decade banks mistakenly invested in bolted on UX, or in at least one case acquired a UX company (simple) for 100m+. This was a bad idea but it would be a good idea for banks to start paying engineers $300k a year and making them part of their jr management and they should be recruiting top technologists to their boards and basically becoming technology companies not “so we have a great website” but so that they aren’t vulnerable to what the Equifax hackers had in mind, which was using security illiterate bank employees and technology infrastructure to dig their way into banks via those banks’ back end connections to Grand Central ie the credit reporting agencies.

I’m not of the view that US currency is at risk of collapse – I think USD is basically secure as long as USA leads world in power and lack of financial corruption which it probably will for a long time, like until an environmental or nuclear event that bottlenecks the species and alters geopolitics accordingly. Then we can pretty easily go back to the gold standard or the guns and cocoa standard. Basically I suspect US won’t fall out of power without a civilization reducing event occuring.

But it’s possible that event could be anarchist driven à la Mr Robot.

At any rate when you think of Bitcoin and block chain vs traditional banking consider the thing every Mormon missionary learns at some point: when you run into a mean, fast, angry dog, just remember: you don’t have to outrun the dog. You just have to outrun your companion.

In other words, both are going to experience likelihood of technology attack and such but as long as the banks are operating the way they currently are with regard to security, block chain is made less vulnerable. Shitty bank security is like the steak you throw the dog on monkey island so you can sneak past and grab the flower to put in the beverage you serve the prison guard.

Everybody follows monkey island references I presume?

so… are you gonna look into stock market or what?

you’d be wasting your talent if you don’t use it.

or how about look into sports betting?

there is a specific algorithm you can follow to NEVER lose any money.

but the key is discipline.

it’s matter of one mistake that put you into huge misfortune.

too risky?

Thanks, hadn’t thought about it from security angle, but you’re right that breaches will probably get worse. I haven’t bought any actual bitcoin just trading GBTC; I wouldn’t buy as a long term investment at this point unless price comes down and stabilizes.

I had a great-great uncle who didn’t trust banks and hid all his money, including gold, on his property. When the Great Depression hit, he bought up half the land in the county.

And lest we go off topic (again)

his wife would probably murder him if he did this with their money lol
so the risk, is being murdered

very smart.

many business owners actually do this. and you’d be surprised where they hide these stuff.

hahaha i forgot she’s the breadwinner now…
but hey. high risk high rewards?