Philosophy Begins In Wonder

Perfectly captures the spirit of a healthy INTP’s Ne aux.

“Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.”

“We don’t always think of Nietzsche as a “spiritual” philosopher. But the story of the three metamorphoses is nothing if not a saga of spiritual transformation. The phases of spiritual metamorphosis are symbolically represented by the camel, the lion, and the child.”

"Nietzsche describes the camel spirit as a collector of burdens, conquests, and scars. The camel asks: “What is heaviest … that I may take it upon me and rejoice in my strength”

“What does it mean to be a lion? The metaphor speaks for itself. The lion is the “king of the beasts.” The lion spirit says “I will” – and that is the whole of the law.”

"The dragon is Nietzsche’s image of societal norms. In the lion stage, the subject of spiritual transformation must engage the dragon in mortal combat. One needs to be a lion in spirit to defeat the law of “Thou Shalt” and affirm the conditions of one’s flourishing.

There is no happiness in fighting dragons all one’s life, however. To complete the three metamorphoses, the lion must become a child. ‎Maturity, for Nietzsche, means rediscovering the seriousness one had as a child at play."

““The child”, Nietzsche says, “is innocence and forgetting, a new beginning, a sport, a self-propelling wheel, a Sacred Yes” (Z, 55). The lion becomes a child when the individual who says “I will” ceases to affirm their values contrary to the law of “Thou Shalt”, and affirms them instead “for the sport of creation: the spirit now wills its own will, … its own world” (Z, 55). Life is no longer a reactive struggle to defeat other forces. Life is a celebration of one’s powers – a sustained act of pure affirmation. The child-like spirit knows the joy of life and the innocence of perpetual creation.”

And finally, this:

Zhuang Zi (aka Chuang Tzu)

Pretty much a fully individuated INFJ.

hahah thought this was funny.
anyways. great post!

camel here… is it Fe?

sounds like something Fe dom and aux would say.

lion. sounds like… Te-Se

and dragon sounds like Si-Te

and

I interpret as
doesn’t need be a rebel and cause trouble for everyone.
so. Just be a child.

which is.

be carefree. Don’t worry. be happy. hakunamatata.

so basically. instead of swimming against the tide.
just surf on that shit. :surfing_man:

instead of heading against the wind, just fly a fuckin kite.
enjoy the breeze.

damn.
I don’t need a philosophy to tell me keep doing what I’m doing but it sure feels good to know that someone so insightful came up with banging quotes that make me feel like I achieved an ultimate maturity by being a child👶

well. here’s my additional philosophy.

understand your enemy, and make your enemy understand you. now there is peace without alliance.

AMEN To This Thread! Just digesting it at the moment…thought’s later.

More tributes to the general spirit of this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gltOzrSed1A

Mass Effect Space Exploration

Accompanying Music (Uncharted Worlds - Jack Wall & Sam Hulick)

For those moments when you discover something wondrous for the first time.

Tolkien’s book The Silmarillion describes a mythical time in the First Age before the Lord of the Rings. He describes the birth of the Elves (the Quendi):

It is told that even as Varda ended her labours, and they were long, when first Menelmacar strode up the sky and the blue fire of Helluin flickered in the mists above the borders of the world, in that hour the Children of the Earth awoke, the Firstborn of Iluvatar. By the starlit mere of Cuivienen, Water of Awakening, they rose from the sleep of Iluvatar; and while they dwelt yet silent by Cuivienen their eyes beheld first of all things the stars of heaven. Therefore they have ever loved the starlight, and have revered Varda Elentari above all the Valar.

In the changes of the world the shapes of lands and of seas have been broken and remade; rivers have not kept their courses, neither have mountains remained steadfast; and to Cuivienen there is no returning. But it is said among the Elves that it lay far off in the east of Middle-earth, and northward, and it was a bay in the Inland Sea of Helcar; and that sea stood where aforetime the roots of the mountain of Illuin had been before Melkor overthrew it Many waters flowed down thither from heights in the east, and the first sound that was heard by the Elves was the sound of water flowing, and the sound of water falling over stone.

Long they dwelt in their first home by the water under stars, and they walked the Earth in wonder; and they began to make speech and to give names to all things that they perceived. Themselves they named the Quendi, signifying those that speak with voices; for as yet they had met no other living things that spoke or sang.

He also writes about the first rising of the Sun and the Moon. The Elves were pissed off at the Great Enemy Morgoth (basically Satan; also Sauron’s big boss) who had destroyed the two trees that provided illumination to the world (Telperion and another tree) before there was such a thing as Sun and Moon. So when Morgoth fled from the holy land of Valinor in the West with three jewels, the Silmari, which captured the light of the now-dead trees, the pissed off elves followed him across the ocean to Middle-Earth to take revenge. Meanwhile the good gods made the remains of the two trees into the Sun (Anar) and Moon (Isil):

Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realm of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees. Then for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight; and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the west, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle-earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them. Tilion had traversed the heaven seven times, and thus was m the furthest east, when the vessel of Arien was made ready. Then Anar arose in glory, and the first dawn of the Sun was like a great fire upon the towers of the Pelori: the clouds of Middle-earth were kindled, and there was heard the sound of many waterfalls. Then indeed Morgoth was dismayed, and he descended into the uttermost depths of Angband, and withdrew his servants, sending forth great reek and dark cloud to hide his land from the light of the Day-star.

I love the name of this thread. Fuck yes it does! I feel like deep down my essence is…a philosopher. All of my thoughts and actions radiate out from there. I have always wondered if this is an INFJ thing.

Let’s begin.

Philosophize!

Whoooooooa pressure, @Sam!!!

I constantly find myself stripping everything I’m interested in down to an…essence? Thesis? Thought? Feeling? Idea? Then I’ll take that idea and carry it with me until some new, relevant info appears. Then I’ll cross reference the new info with the idea I’ve worked really hard to cultivate and see if it still adds up. If it doesn’t add up, then I’ll go back to the drawing board where all of my “data” is to see if I can amend or completely change the main idea. And this gets tricky because in my mind, there is no real delineation between…anything. It’s all related and I actually seek out those connections because they bring me a lot of joy.

I’m obsessed with elegant approaches to life, both spiritually and literally. I get caught in the classic INFJ Ni-Ti info overload loop where I gather sooooo much fucking data about design. I know a ridiculous amount of things about interiors, fashion, architecture, etc. I sift through all of it trying to find Main Ideas about design.

Anyway, I see you are majoring in Sociology! You’re probably reading a lot of good, dense theory. Uggghhh jealous.

What if… What if… this is the Ni-Ti loop Blake is talking about? :scream:

Dense, yes. Good, maybe. It depends.

I knewwwww you were going to say this is the Ni-Ti loop. Perhaps it is. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: What have you liked reading so far? I found that I would learn about theories in Soc and then see them in action in my English classes. Really fulfilling.

Ok, here are some of my ideas…

The best interior design is an expression of a single emotion. Every single element from top to bottom needs to be imbued with that emotion.

Music is the most potent art form. It is within all of us. People like Kendrick Lamar are the true leaders of the world.

Elegance is simplicity.

Hmm so far my favourite isn’t “theory” per se, but this book on qualitative research methods by Orne & Bell. They explained stuff really clearly and in a reader-friendly tone unlike some French guys out there…

“God has given us music so that above all it can lead us upwards. Music unites all qualities: it can exalt us, divert us, cheer us up, or break the hardest of hearts with the softest of its melancholy tones. But its principal task is to lead our thoughts to higher things, to elevate, even to make us tremble… The musical art often speaks in sounds more penetrating than the words of poetry, and takes hold of the most hidden crevices of the heart… Song elevates our being and leads us to the good and the true. If, however, music serves only as a diversion or as a kind of vain ostentation it is sinful and harmful.”

–Nietzsche

I fucking love this.