Stefan Jackiw - Violinist

Stefan Jackiw is one of the most versatile violinists of his generation. He provides, I believe, the definitive interpretation of the Korngold Violin Concerto:

I was looking up his interviews, and naturally started pondering his type:

From what I’ve gleaned, he’s obviously an Fe-user, and by extension a Ti-user. It seems to me that he’s using Fe over Ti. The timbre of his voice indicates Si.

Does anyone else think he’s an ISFJ? The Fi-id would certainly explain the sheer expressiveness and delicacy of his playing and musical interpretation.

Yep.

Nope. [quote=“Kevin.K, post:1, topic:229”]
It seems to me that he’s using Fe over Ti.
[/quote]

Yep. [quote=“Kevin.K, post:1, topic:229”]
The timbre of his voice indicates Si.
[/quote]

Yeah, I could see what you’re saying. Because it seems dry and matter-of-fact. But, there is another function that has this timbre and I think is more to the point for him.

Fi-id is not expressive. Quite the opposite. However, yes, it does feel a lot. The expressiveness that ISFJ and INFJ achieve comes much more from the Fe aux. It is the power to express what is deeply felt. Fi-id by itself just feels a lot without the power to express.

Unless we are talking real bare-bones type blues expression which is very repetitive and monotonous.

You’re completely correct; I’d forgotten about Fe-id. I suppose what I originally meant was he’s a “non-id Fe user.”

I was referring to that Billy Corgan-esque timbre, or a certain way a voice sounds that is grating to Se-users, like when someone disregards the qualitative aspects of their voice and instead focuses only on enunciation and precision, etc.

You’re completely right again. I had rushed to get my intuitions down without sufficiently refining them with Ti. I was referring to the Fi-id Fe-aux combination, of deep feeling coupled with the capacity to express these feelings.

Can you see him being any other type than ISFJ?

To be specific, I wasn’t referring to the timbre of what was being said, but rather the timbre of the voice itself regardless of its verbal content.

Is he…ENFP?

I have to say I was a bit influenced by Blake’s comments. But the first impression I get from this guy is that his psychological energy is extraverted, not introverted. He does not seem to be an Ni-Se user, as he seems more grounded in reality and rarely emits a strong presence in interview (Ni aux-Se tert) or any sense of force/physical competence (Se-dom/Se-aux), nor does he exhibit this inward-gazing thing Ni-dom’s tend to do.

His eyes seem to open up towards a wide perspective. They’re shifty in some ways. IDK, not in a literal, physical sense, it’s more the feeling. I feel this is an Ne-dom thing. Seeings tons of patterns and connections at once. The mind is churning like crazy.

He has this Fe-id thing that’s driving me nuts. He really wants to get himself out to the world. Let himself be known. And this manic energy seems to be working behind the scenes (although you can’t really see it…only sense it? but maybe I’m way off). Couple that to heavy Te-tertiary usage. I think this is what accounts for the weird timbre as you were describing, Kevin K. (Although he just sounds American to me. Sorry, but not, sorry, lol! Hey, I sound a little bit like that too, but not to his extent.) Yah, and I guess Te is what is often attributed to a dry, matter-of-fact style speech.

I sense heavy Ne-Te looping with Fe-id working very loudly behind the scenes. It’s what makes him sound full of “emotional/expressive energy” yet kind of sharp/grating at the same time. Yeah, I feel some tightness about him. He wants to come across competent. He wants to instruct, get his message across to express himself and be acknowledged by others. But he’s sacrificing Fi in his interviews, that would calm him down and make him more sincere and easy to listen to. No doubt it’s different when he’s playing his violin. His phrasing and lines are clean, very very refined, expressive, and superb. Not annoying, unlike his interview (maybe I’m the only one who got that impression?). As an aside, I never heard of him as I generally don’t like classical-music performers from the younger generation, but I’ll check him out.

Why I don’t think he is either INFJ or ISFJ: I think Fe in the aux would always come across a bit warmer, softer, voluptuous. Also, he doesn’t seem grounded and shrewd like an ISFJ. He wants to be the best, and it’s obvious. He looks to be the type who likes to explore and play around, reach out to the world. A very Ne-thing, and not ISFJish or INFJish at all. Also, he has this childish, Peter Pan-ish thing going on.

It’s funny. I thought musicians playing classical music tend to be INFJs or ENFJs, but I haven’t known many ENFPs or at least I haven’t really looked into typing classical music performers.

Haha, but maybe my guess is wrong!

Am I way off base or am I right?! I’m prepared to be torn apart!!!

Btw, Kevin K. I haven’t forgotten about you! Haha. Are you surviving? Exams must have started by now? Good luck, good luck. I sometimes wonder. This boring-ass town is so small that I probably ran into you one day while cycling and didn’t even notice you are this crazy stranger on the Internet. :slight_smile:

Makes sense. I think you’re right, actually!

Haha, no offense taken. The weird timbre I was describing is actually that nasalness to his voice. Do you hear what I’m talking about, or am I just crazy? It’s in the same spectrum of nasality as Billy Corgan in Smashing Pumpkin’s Bullet With Butterfly WIngs. Apparently Billy Corgan is known for having a very distinctive (read: cringe) voice. I attribute it to Si. I’m not saying that everyone with Si will have this nasal intonation. However, when one does, one invariably possesses some form of Si. I’ve never met anyone with Se who chooses to use their voice that way, regardless of baseline level of nasality as determined by genetics.

I’m not referring to Te dryness-of-expression. My ENTJ friend is very dry and matter-of-fact, but he does not have that nasality. His voice (or more specifically, how he chooses to make words sound through his vocal cords) is non-cringe.

And hey, American accents are fine! (No, no, I’m not butthurt. Not at all :cry:)

Hah nah, 'sall good :slight_smile:

I got that impression as well. But it wasn’t the content of what he was saying that was annoying. It was the form - the cringeness of his voice.

Another example of cringe voice: James LaBrie, the lead singer of Dream Theater. Every time he sings. His facial hair indicates Si as well.

Same for me. Who are some of your favorite classical musicians?[quote=“schlopadoo, post:5, topic:229”]
Also, he has this childish, Peter Pan-ish thing going on.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think this convinces me of the ENFP case.[quote=“schlopadoo, post:5, topic:229”]

I thought musicians playing classical music tend to be INFJs or ENFJs
[/quote]

Not at all! Any type can become a classical musician. Just look at Itzhak Perlman, Pinchas Zuckerman, Joshua Bell, Jascha Heifetz, Renaud Capuçon and his brother, Gautier Capuçon - the list goes on. None of them are INFJs or ENFJs. As long as one starts from a sufficiently young age, anyone can acquire the requisite prowess to become a high-profile classical musician. I assure you, there are examples of every type becoming a successful classical musician. I can also assure you that, if you go through the roster of, say, the BBC Concert Orchestra, the majority of players will not be INFJs or ENFJs.

Haha, yeah, it’s going fine. Snapchat’s added a Revision Hell story option (actually, it must have added one for you as well) and the libraries are always extremely packed. But, it’s fine. I’ll make it through and we’ll all survive. Then we get to celebrate! Whoooo, parrrrtayyyyyyy! Let’s get fukkkin’ hammmereddddd

I take it that research is going well for you, as you’ve been posting on the forum quite a lot recently?

I sometimes wonder the same thing! Every time I pass by a stranger and make eye contact, I wonder if there’s a sense of mutual knowing. Like, “Hmm, are you the one?” Yes, this town is hella boring, but the people more than make up for it. My friends are amazing and I love them so much :heart:

…and it’s just started to rain. Why? Why?

Yep.

Yep! And good analysis! I agree with most everything you said with the exception of…[quote=“schlopadoo, post:5, topic:229”]
I thought musicians playing classical music tend to be INFJs or ENFJs
[/quote]

Yeah, that’s not even close to being true. Perhaps, you are thinking of what I said about the best classical composers being INFJ and ENFJ. Yes, in my estimation, the best classical composers are INFJ or ENFJ.

However, there are many ISTJs, for example, that play classical music. You see many of their type in conservatories and orchestras and such. Many of them actually teach music. However, these will not be your star players. More like the backbone of an orchestra. And they will certainly not amount to much as composers. [quote=“Kevin.K, post:3, topic:229”]
I was referring to that Billy Corgan-esque timbre, or a certain way a voice sounds that is grating to Se-users, like when someone disregards the qualitative aspects of their voice and instead focuses only on enunciation and precision, etc.
[/quote]

Yeah, I totally agree and hear that. However, I have typed Corgan as an ENFP many years ago, so, I think our continuum is the same, but, we’re attributing a different label to it.

My second guess for both these guys would be INFP, but, somewhat distant second guess.

I see what you’re saying about the nasal/whine thing and I have attributed this to a certain phlegmatic quality that I have assigned to INFP, INTP, ISFP, and ISFJ. Si correlates to the phlegmatic humor par excellence, especially when combined with feeling function.

So, Billy Corgan, yeah, I can see that in line with Jackiw’s presentation. Definitely.

The first person that I saw in my mind when I was watching Jackiw’s interview was Jimmy Fallon, whom I have also previously typed as an ENFP some time ago.

So, we on some same continuum me thinks!

Wiki: Typings By Blake

Can one of you tell me if this is the voice you are talking about? Listened to LaBrie and Jackiw , oh and Corgan, and was reminded of this guy.

Deleted what I wrote. I thought this was in general like an stj sound in the voice. But actually enfps have a special voice. I think it’s the kind of voice that has you wondering if they are logical or not. You can tell the mind is agile, and they have good Te, but it’s not the same as Ti. That has a ring to it.

How do you figure out classical composers only by listening to the musical work… or do you go by accounts of how they were in life and photos?
I mean, to construct and compose large works like a Symphony or Opera, definitely needs planning, thought and structure and all composers use some common Te-type methods.

For example, I know @Blake has said Stravinsky is an INTJ composer, because he used Serialism as a method of composing- but Stravinsky did not really use that till the 1950s and those are neither his popular nor influential works. In fact, Stravinsky is quite diverse in his outputs and compositional style and did not seem to stick to one method.
His earlier works were quite known for unique rhythmic structures which became influential and innovative… but I suspect that came from his Russian roots rather than as an algorithmic method…like additive rhythms, which are common in many musical traditions and in nature, but was somewhat weird in the Western classical language in early 20th century. He could be an INTJ, though its also possible that he is INFJ or so.

Also, why do you say Mozart was INFJ? Coz his music is expressive and playful and somewhat simple? Why do you say INFJ over ISFP? As a vibe I think I agree with you, but am curious to know your thought process.

I’d say Arnold Schoenberg, who came up with Serialism could be INTJ…though his photo gives me a sort of ENTJ vibe.

Why is serialism intj?

Both. [quote=“Spice, post:10, topic:229”]
I mean, to construct and compose large works like a Symphony or Opera, definitely needs planning, thought and structure and all composers use some common Te-type methods.
[/quote]

Definitely. Planning a symphony is a huge undertaking. I think it takes a lot of executive functioning, which implicates Te first and foremost.

However, I think the best composers tended to either have some incredible innate gift combined with a huge amount of practicing (I don’t think Bach was an INFJ or ENFJ though, so, he would not fall into this argument).

It is well-known that Beethoven, for instance, struggled immensely with putting together his symphonies.

But, much of the reason that a composer is considered great relies on the simplicity of their expression, the ability to take something potentially huge and labyrinthine and reduce it to a few basic propositions. Or to take a simple idea (motive) and vary the living shit out of it…beautifully and elegantly…and meaningfully. Of course, Beethoven’s 5th symphony in the first movement is most famous for this ability.

Also, I think Fe has a similar ability in the regards you are attributing to Te, but, the planning and construction is done more by feeling and the laws of feeling and harmony etc.

I also think it is interesting that the greatest composers were German (or thereabouts) because I would attribute to the German type a high facility with Te. So, it may be that INFJs and ENFJs born in the German racial type and culture had Te methods pounded into them from a very young age (certainly the case with Mozart and Beethoven).

I think it takes something of the combination of this rigorous work ethic and technical emphasis combined with a highly romantic temperament to make these great composers. To clarify, I’m talking mainly about Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin, who are widely considered some of the greatest composers ever. Bach of course is in there too, but, I don’t consider him an ENFJ or INFJ. Not sure what he was, but, he was, at the very least, German. [quote=“Spice, post:10, topic:229”]
For example, I know @Blake has said Stravinsky is an INTJ composer, because he used Serialism as a method of composing- but Stravinsky did not really use that till the 1950s and those are neither his popular nor influential works. In fact, Stravinsky is quite diverse in his outputs and compositional style and did not seem to stick to one method.
[/quote]

I think Stravinsky is widely considered the last composer of any importance. The way I see him is that he was an experimental composer aware of all the stuff that had come before him and that he was looking for something new to do. But, he doesn’t strike me as a Romantic that was driven hugely by feeling. And like it or not, one of the essential components that makes for the greatest composers is a great emphasis on feeling and passion, though often restrained and disciplined by a great sense of form.

Too much emphasis on feeling without form led to the Romantic period in music proper. But, Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin were right on the cusp between the Classical and the Romantic. They hit that perfect balance between restraint and expression.

I see Stravinsky in much the same way as I see Brian Eno, a modern composer. There is something of the deconstructionist in them. Eno, for example, has used an algorithmic method to compose. Not exclusively. But, he is an experimentalist and has tried many different things to see what new things can be done.

I’d say you are better off being an INTJ when you are composing in an exhausted art form such as Classical music. INTJs are innovative vs. original. They seem to be good at trying new combinations. Try this. Try that. See what happens. Come up with new methods (like serialism) to see if they can extend the range of what is possible. It is kind of like a scientific approach to art.

It’s possible he’s an INFJ. Of course it’s possible! Not probable though. Not to me. Stravinsky strikes me as an innovator in methods in a relatively exhausted art form. Like you said, he is known for coming up with some interesting rhythmic approaches, for example. These are more methods or approaches rather than whole works like symphonies. I know he is known for his Firebird symphony and the Rites of Spring symphony.

I think Stravinsky was good at keeping the home fire burning by employing new methods. But, compared to The Greats he yielded a comparably small level of great output. Which is miraculous considering the time he was born into. Very late. But, still, like I said, he is the widely considered to be the last Classical composer of any importance.

Stravinsky revived Classical music pretty much all on his own. But, it did not yield much beyond him. At least, in my opinion. But, it’s not just my opinion.

It’s similar to how rock music had its high period in the 60’s and early 70’s, but, there are still a lot of people making rock music, however, it was pretty much exhausted as an art form by 1976.

Anyway, I don’t know if that answers your questions, but, as far as type is concerned, I think the greatest composers were xNFJs.

And I think this tends to hold true for the greatest artists of all time in any medium in general. Which is not to say that there is never any other great artists of any other type besides those two. It just seems to be a general rule I’ve noticed. [quote=“Spice, post:10, topic:229”]
Also, why do you say Mozart was INFJ? Coz his music is expressive and playful and somewhat simple?
[/quote]

Um, yeah, more or less, I guess. There is a certain elegance in the greatest of Mozart’s music which is quite simple, quite playful, quite sublime, and quite symptomatic of the Fe-Ti axis in highest expression as an aux./tert. position. [quote=“Spice, post:10, topic:229”]
Why do you say INFJ over ISFP? As a vibe I think I agree with you, but am curious to know your thought process
[/quote]

No ISFP could write the way Mozart did. Hard to explain, but, when I listen to certain of his works…well, only an INFJ. That’s all I can say.

Also, please note, none of the foregoing means that if you are an INFJ or an ENFJ this automatically makes you a genius artist or composer.

Most INFJs and ENFJs will never be known as great artists. Just let me burst that bubble.

However, if a person is known as a great composer or artist, the chances of them being an INFJ or ENFJ is pretty high. I’m talking about the greatest artists that have ever lived here, folks. [quote=“Spice, post:10, topic:229”]
I’d say Arnold Schoenberg, who came up with Serialism could be INTJ…
[/quote]

Could be. Serialism is definitely a Te thing par excellence. Hell, serialism might be the very one word to describe Te if you had to pick one. :grinning:

Mozart and Beethoven both have playful music and a kind of freedom. And from bios??? and their music, in my imagination, they both have a SLIGHTly insolent vibe??? Like a sense of humor???

I have always wanted to know Bach’s type. He never has that “here I go again” vibe of Mozart and Beethoven as if …AAAAAHHHH painful inability to put things into words :frowning:

Uh maybe Bach comes across as having a certain diligence?? Well he has something called the well-tempered clavier. He always has seemed well-tempered in imagination land.

:dizzy_face:

lol

lol

for the heck of it:

depictions of Mozart, Beethoven, Bach:

next on reading list, bios of these guys… men as usual, lol, growing up you always hear about the GREAT MEN!!!

Cool! Just clarifying, though. I wasn’t actually typing Corgan as an ISFJ, but was rather drawing a common Si thread between Jackiw and Corgan. I now agree that Jackiw is ENFP, and it was just coincidence that Corgan might be ENFP as well. So, I wasn’t saying that Jackiw and Corgan were the same type, but just that their voices had the same grating, nasal quality.

I wouldn’t have considered INFP for Jackiw, because I’m not sure how that would have accounted for the Fe I was seeing.

I hear the nasal voice most frequently in INTP and ISTJ, and less in INFP and ISFJ. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it in ISFP, but I certainly have met some ISFPs that were cringe in other ways. This is not to say that all INTPs I’ve met have this nasal voice. But in my experience it is certainly the type with the highest incidence of it. I also think the proportion of ISFJs with this voice is quite low, as most of them I’ve met don’t have it. Louis CK and Obama, for example, don’t have it.

Most, if not all ISFPs I know have a voice like Slash’s, and I’ve yet to meet one with a nasally voice.

But yeah, what I’m getting at is the same Si continuum of voice, gait, dress, etc. The biggest offenders are usually INTPs and ISTJs, but not all INTPs are offenders. ISTJs are almost always offenders.

Haha, I think you’re perceiving what I’m talking about! But, I think in this case, the nasality is used as a conscious stylistic choice rather than a product of Si. Ironically, Oasis’s vocalist bugs the hell out of this INTP I know, even though said INTP has just as, if not more grating a voice, which makes me think that Wonderwall’s vocalizing is a product of Se. As of now, I put Wonderwall’s vocals in the same continuum as this:

(Note how in the above video, you can tell the drummer has Se just from his hairstyle and overall aesthetic/manner of carrying himself and his body. Actually, I’d say overall the above band is an Se band.)

and this:

I consider both to be Se-stylistic choices of vocalizing.

But, I haven’t decided yet on Wonderwall. I very well may be wrong about Oasis’s lead singer.

I think Ian Curtis’s vocalizing indicates Si to me. But, I’d have to think more about that.

I think this is pertinent to the ENFP as a holistic type, but it’s not what I’m referring to. The Si voice can be gleaned from the enunciation of just one word, regardless of what logical thread is woven, etc. It’s also irrespective of level of emotionality or expression in the voice. You can have a very dry Si voice or a very excited Si voice.

I don’t think this is something that can be satisfactorily answered. But, I do think that one can get a pretty good grasp of a dead composer from their written interviews, photographs, and compositions. For example, I get an INTJ vibe from Shostakovich given his gaze in photographs, what correspondence is left of him in written form, the ingenious way he undermined the Soviet government through hidden motifs in his music, the general emotional tenor of his compositions - the monochromatic rainbow, etc. I think mostly what I’m seeing is Ni-dom + a certain hardness of expression and emotionality. Overall, I attribute this to INTJ.

Of course, there’s the Soviet ENTJ influence pervading throughout the entire thing, which can certainly contribute to his personality and how we perceive it. However, I do not see an ENTJized INFJ in Shostakovich. I see an ENTJized INTJ.

On the other hand, I hear every color of the rainbow in Sibelius’s music as well as existential strife, especially in his Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47. The concerto is no stranger to utter complexity. And yet, this complexity lends itself to expressive genius. There is the fact that he doubted his prowess as a violinist, even though he was reportedly quite good. This is coupled with his strength as a composer, so I think this speaks to INFJs’ doubt of their inferior Se and their relative strength in composing. We have his Finlandia which so elegantly captured Finland’s suffering and nationalism. We also have his 2nd Symphony, and I’ve yet to hear a symphony more evocative of the eagerness of nature. Sibelius regarded his 2nd Symphony as a “confession of a soul.” Quite an INFJ thing to say.

Sibelius’s music also apparently does not follow perfect musical form. Regardless, his music is extremely compelling. I attribute this to Sibelius bypassing Ti and instead using Fe to express what his Fi-id had felt so deeply, which comes out as some of the most heart-wrenching and moving works. It is formally unideal in terms of today’s Ti-heavy music theory standards. However, that it irrelevant to its power and capacity to move. Therefore, I tentatively categorize Sibelius as INFJ.

Yes. I gathered that much from what you wrote. And I agree, because an intj does not sound like that. So I think it has SOMETHING to do with Si and Fi and Te those 3 together. But you’re saying an isfj might sound like that? And intp? So something to learn:) rubbing hands…

But, I don’t actually associate nasal to intp or isfj. More like a meticulous internal weighing

But istjs definitely and I know infp too, because I can catch that in my voice and it grates on my own ears.

@Kevin.K I guess Bill Gates is nasal. Lol. That’s the dorky nasal. Yeah what’s up with that.

In enfp the way I see it is kind of like Fe id give the enfp this NEED to convince others and be admired etc. So it isn’t quite Fe…and Fi is the vehicle. Then Te carries the push for Fe id’s sake.

Intp and istj grating would be a complete vanishing of Fe…as well as lack of Se.

Guess Se always helps with communication. Blake’s says it’s a very PEOPLE function.

I wouldn’t say it has anything to do with Si and Fi and Te together, but rather just Si. INTPs are the biggest offenders of this voice. Think Dungeons and Dragons and My Little Pony and Reddit, stuff like that. Neckbeard par excellence. I think it’s due to presence of Si + lack of emotion. I think ISTJs are the second biggest offenders. Relative lack of emotion.

INFPs I think are vindicated most of the time, probably because they have a very strong feeling function. Same thing with ISFJs. However, this does not rule out the possibility that INFPs or ISFJs could have the voice. That possibility is conferred by the presence of Si. It’s just less likely to manifest if one’s feeling function is stronger.

It’s not something that can be attributed to a type holistically. Like I said, not every INTP or ISFJ is going to have the voice. It’s a continuum that’s limited to the Si function in itself.

Yep, perfect example of Si in action. Retracting into oneself. Dorky. Lack of awareness of external surroundings and how one comes across in the external world. Aesthetic. Haircut. Glasses.

Blake says Se is people function compared to Si:) So I can kind of see it that way. Se won’t loose sight of how communication is between people. I suppose anyone with weak Se might. As they depart into whatever internal workings are holding more weight.

Right, but some ENFPs can express in exactly the same manner and not have the nasally voice, do you see what I’m getting at? You could have Te expression without a nasal voice.

It’s a people-oriented function in that it’s concerned with how you viscerally come across to other people on a primal level. It helps with communication only to the extent that you don’t sound cringe when you open your mouth, but it doesn’t help with the content of what is being said or the phrasing, enunciation, inflection, or expressiveness. Just the visceral sound of the voice.

I think so. I think Te is more of a “hammer” and Si is more of an internal weight, where you are just internally perceptive…I have an isfj friend who is expressive but if she starts recalling a recipe and going into painstaking detail it has an Si drone and honestly you get a “shoot me” feeling listening to it.

So perhaps because he was instructing (talking about practicing) etc., he was somehow going into a mode of “the correct way” to do things. I’m showing you the way to do it. Because he’s great .