Textured Thoughts

I found this site because I am trying to solve long-standing issues I have with writing. It is an ongoing experiment.

I knew that one of the issues was with my thoughts, namely their speed. It is physically impossible for me to type at the rate my thoughts move, and whole paragraphs are gone before I make it through a sentence. I am picking the problem apart and finding more further down.

Starting to post here I feel I am not precise with my meaning and am concerned about being misunderstood. Probably a projection, as I am often misunderstood. I know others here understand that frustration. I spend all my time thinking about things I want to say and never say them because the other is too much of a bother; I will need to clarify which is too much effort. I stick to pondering but it is stagnant.

Yesterday I was thinking about something I wanted to say, and an image pops up. I realize this is how I must be more precise: I must translate the image. The image is dense, a brain-shortcut packed with information. It is not easy to describe. When I search for words to describe the image I find sensation. It is not an embodied sensation, more like the memory of a sensation. The meaning I’m looking for is more accurate (condensed? pure?) in the sensation than in the images. But I still need WORDS in order to write it. But which words?

I want to get from the image/sensation level directly to the description level without having to go through the full circuit, in as few words as possible. This will take practice. When I am speaking often the images come first, perhaps practice writing will help with translation in speech as well.

When I go down through the layers first there is a river of words; one to four trajectories happening simultaneously. They have a voice rather than showing on a page. Under that there is images, and beyond that sensations. Skin-based mostly. I will have to search for smells and sounds. There is little of that but I wonder if they are there, just behind perception. The whole evolution of human communication is happening inside my head, macrocosmically and microcosmically. Humans progressed from gesture/sound to pictorial to written. Babies progress from touch to vision to speech to writing. Words are so limited.

So I am curious if anyone wants to share, how are your thoughts textured? Does everyone have these evolutionary layers in there? Do you have access to the way they move? Do you care? What is the balance of words, images, sensations, sounds? How do you wrangle them? Also would very much appreciate anyone linking their thought patters to their cognitive functions, but alas I cannot. Or their charts.

Interesting thoughts here.

I’ll try to describe my process. But it won’t sound as cool as your process.

There’s a background voice that is like ummm? Or hmm, or something along those lines. Like searching but it doesn’t know what it’s searching for. After a few minutes, I get this sensation of my brain being massaged. Very relaxing. So much so that any intended agenda is pushed to the back of the line. I don’t see still images. I see more in motion images. It’s always either a symphony of moving parts, Or several motion images taking turns in the spotlight of my perception with a two to five second pause in between. When I start to focus in on one image the other images flash with less clarity and in like a peripheral way. I can then focus my attention on a chosen image and let it play out in a longer format with a full narrative behind it. But most times what I end up focusing on has nothing to do with what I intended to accomplish. Lol. But when it does it feeds me a lot of adrenaline to make my thoughts actualize.

When I do write out my thoughts, it can go one of two ways. Either an excitedly random unstructured overflowing and confusing nightmare or I wait till my adrenaline dies down and I leave out like 90% of the mental adventure. It ends up sounding bland but direct and gets to the meat of what I try to write. Not at all pretty and fancy like Inf’s write.

Words are spoken and not written as well in my thoughts.

Sammy, thank you for sharing! Your process sounds really cool to me. When I was writing out my own I felt it sounded both boring and self-aggrandizing. We are too familiar with our the insides of our own heads and forget it sounds wondrous to others.

I love the way you wrote. I can enter in. I am very curious about what you talk about happening in the periphery and that things are always moving. My images move when I am not focusing/asking questions and just observing. If I am searching for answers the images are more like static presentations of coded data. Very little happens on the periphery; things tend to rise up like the creations of the living ocean in Solaris. Periphery is more of an open-eyed perception thing for me. Like I “see” things from the corners of my eyes that aren’t there, or are two things at once. Maybe two places AND two things at once.

I know here you are known as ENFP but you have your doubts, you think maybe INFP? My closest friend had a conversation about our thoughts and they also had a lot of peripheral action and movement. They are typed ENFP and I’m pretty sure it is correct but I’m shit at typing. Their periphery action was bonkers tho, sounded way more intense than yours does. Very very crowded and fast. I’m wondering if this is an Ne thing. Appreciate any musings you have on this, just trying to build my understanding of typing.

The brain massage part sounds AMAZING. If that happened to me I would probably get more addicted to thinking than I already am.

It’s thoughts that I push aside. This happens when I’m more conscious of the fact that I’m thinking. I’m trying to be more conscious about my thinking so that I can try to make it productive instead of getting lost in the abyss and neglecting the world for nothing. So when I’m consciously trying to think, I am able to visualize more vividly.

That’s interesting. When I am focusing/asking questions I am able to observe my own thoughts with more clarity in images. Prob the Fi. When I’m not focused, my thoughts are completely weird and random. Like sometimes I will just be living in someone else’s perspective. Imagining things from their POV. Sometimes even a made up person with a completely different lifestyle and background than me. Nothing deep just like weird uninteresting random shit. I completely loose touch with myself. I only realize this is happening after the fact, not usually during though.

I want to say what type I identify with cause there are somethings that are overlooked when it comes to typing on here(like upbringing, parents type, education, trauma, looping etc.) but at the same time I don’t because it would confuse people like you who are trying to get a foundational understanding of type…plus the Maze typing police will just come after me anyway. Lol.

Have you stated your type on another thread already? If not, do you know your type, or do you have it narrowed down to a few types?

It’s thoughts that I push aside.

Ok, so things don’t enter from the periphery, they get pushed there once filtered?

Sometimes even a made up person with a completely different lifestyle and background than me. Nothing deep just like weird uninteresting random shit. I completely loose touch with myself. I only realize this is happening after the fact, not usually during though.

OMG THIS. Fascinating. How do you know it is made up? Does it happen when you are alone or only when you are out in public? I’m getting at maybe you are actually stepping into someone else, then filtered through your own perspective it feels “made up” but I like to take things to the woo whenever possible.

I want to say what type I identify with cause there are somethings that are overlooked when it comes to typing on here(like upbringing, parents type, education, trauma, looping etc.) but at the same time I don’t because it would confuse people like you who are trying to get a foundational understanding of type…plus the Maze typing police will just come after me anyway. Lol.

I would like to eventually understand all these nuances in relationship to type, including what type people identify as vs. what type they “are”. There are some good threads started about various outside influences (psychopathy, childhood trauma, astrology, etc.). I do understand there is much subjectivity involved in the interpretation which is part of what interests me. When I am on the maze I am trying to learn this particular dialect of typing. There’s another form I am learning also which is very different.

Have you stated your type on another thread already? If not, do you know your type, or do you have it narrowed down to a few types?

You found the typing thread I started!

It’s most times. If I’m alone or when I just daze off. At meetings, in my car on my way to work, right before I go to bed, in the middle of a conversation. Even as I’m reading what you write, my mind automatically goes to reading it from your POV based on an archetype of a person you remind me of with alterations based on the info I do know about you. I just realized that now as I was typing actually. I don’t try it just happens.

Yeah I know. You’ve been typed by a professional so that’s a good nugget of info to start out with though.

It’s most times. If I’m alone or when I just daze off. At meetings, in my car on my way to work, right before I go to bed, in the middle of a conversation. Even as I’m reading what you write, my mind automatically goes to reading it from your POV based on an archetype of a person you remind me of with alterations based on the info I do know about you.

You naturally construct a model of someone then step inside it.

If you ever decide you want to brave the type police and air what you now believe your type to be, I would be very interested. But I understand all sorts of reasons you may not want to do that.

Yeah kinda. I don’t think I can ever precisely articulate the process. It’s like waking up from a dream but not remembering 70% of the details.

Not really. But I will say the absence of what I believe to be my aux is what contributes towards the enfp typing. Because of my weak social skills and somewhat mute tendencies through out most of my life, I’m just starting to develop and gain confidence in my Aux in social situations. It’s not the smoothest function for social settings, so it’s definitely been hard for me, and obviously online this is more evident as I revert to what I believe to be my childish tertiary to make up for it a lot. There’s another possible reason for what I believe to be a false typing of enfp, but maybe I’ll share another day.

I will however say that the biggest enfp thing about me is that I naively and irrationally believe that love is the center of the universe despite all its complexity and hypocrisy. And I also like rainbows and unicorns.

Whatever you are, I really enjoy how you make the light out of every situation and makes me literally laugh out loud reading your comments. Cheers

I think I catch your full meaning. I’ll leave it at that.

It’s been enlightening to just examine how my functions work without trying to stack them. Leads to insight quickly.

I will however say that the biggest enfp thing about me is that I naively and irrationally believe that love is the center of the universe despite all its complexity and hypocrisy. And I also like rainbows and unicorns.

Aww, Sammy. Me too, about love. Not the center, more like the glue, but I’ll start a thread about my personal cosmological structure sometime if I really want to get into it. I like to think about love as a verb rather than a noun. It’s something you channel and act on, not something that happens to you. I guess that is a good philosophy for looking at the universe in general. But I’m not that into unicorns.

I don’t get all the ENFP hate around here. Sure they can be annoying and act like Napoleon in a cowboy costume when worked up, but for the most part I find them to be fun, funny, kind, and intelligent in a way that is both novel and insightful. Less selfish than INFPs and more humble than INFJs. But my best friend is ENFP so I’m bias. When I actually read through what people write the ENFP hate is atmospheric more than coming from individuals. Most people seem to like, or at least appreciate, ENFPs, even the crabbier INFJs. I could write a book on how I perceive the social dynamics of the maze but why tho. I still think you should make a comic book. Could be dangerous but think of the laughs!

Whatever type you may be, I appreciate the richness of your presence here.

Don’t tempt me. I love making people uncomfortable and hurting thier feelings online. I’ve been trying to figure out a metaphor or context to show a circular avatar with a dick going into another avatars mouth. The receiving avatar would have to kinda look like pac man for the concept to make sense. Very low brow to be honest. If I go too far I might get kicked off the internet forever so we’ll see.

Thanks. I hope our bromance lasts longer than @SoundDesiign and @RumDawg ‘s did.

Fascinating thread, @batshitty!

And following on from my comments on your INFP thread, I can’t help but pay attention to the thread title: Textured Thoughts

Out of all the 16 types, I would certainly expect INFP to be the one most likely to describe their inner world using those two words.

@Stewart

Thank you! Wanna take a crack at describing your process? I am super curious to take a peek inside your brains. Just a nudge if you ever feel inclined.

@Sammy

Very low brow to be honest.

Low-brow is jam. I keep meaning to start a b-movie thread but haven’t gotten around to it. I have some compositional thoughts as to how you could achieve your avatar but it’s hard to describe in text.

If I go too far I might get kicked off the internet forever so we’ll see.

Is this damnation or salvation?

You should start it. I’ve had an interest in them sense I was a kid. As a sick curiosity. Never got fully invested, but it’s never too late.

You should do it. You have the infp label to get away with anything. :joy:

Yes. So interesting how things are. All the sub plots I’ve built up in my head are so fascinating. I’m gonna have to take a break from my manic obsession with the Maze’s forum dynamics. Lol

Can you explain this a little when you get a chance?

You should start it. I’ve had an interest in them sense I was a kid. As a sick curiosity. Never got fully invested, but it’s never too late.

Done.

You should do it.

I’d have to draw it by hand then photography. Never learned to draw on the computer post MS paint. Mine would be loving/sexy tho cause oral rape is NOT my jam.

Can you explain this a little when you get a chance?

Yeah this is a big question. Works a little different on a cosmological level than in human practice.

Curious if you wanna elaborate. Especially on how you discovered you prefer Te over Fe…

@Spice When I thought I had Fe I was fairly new to cognitive functions. Their is a comment on the Maze somewhere where I clearly had the line blurred between Fe and Fi.

At work I’ve always used Te. I oversee multiple retail stores. I create systems that people build their lives around. Im good at it and am the youngest in my position. Moved up the latter fast with no college degree despite it being a requirement for my position. No big personality or ass kissing involved. Just making very difficult things manifest at top line results. But I never thought to take this into consideration when understanding my type. I took the mbti test as part of my most current promotion and got infj. Because of some of the similarities between Intj and infj I Just took the result as was.

I tried developing Fe which to me was just agreeableness at the time. Made me depressed.

Basically the more I learned about cognitive functions and how they manifested in personalities, I started to notice I had Fi instead of Fe.

The real nail in the coffin was understanding the enneagram and when I started to read the Artists Way. I got to week 3 about discovering power and anger and it set off all these red flags that I can’t truly articulate. But it was enough to get me into developing Te outside of my work environment. There was a lot more positive outcomes to show for developing Te rather than Fe. Never got passed week 3 in the artists way though. Lol

But I never thought that I’d be an Intj because i didn’t think I was intelligent enough to be one of the smartest types in mbti. I don’t have the perceived slick smarts of Intj. But I didn’t go to college and was raised around heavy Se. And I also realized dumb intj’s can exist too. Lol

I am more than open to hearing any oppositions you might have to me believing I’m an Intj.

@batshitty Interesting to find this post because before I did I was already thinking about how well you actually do write. I think you’re the best writer I’ve seen on this forum so far (step your game up everyone else! Jk).

Story of my life. But don’t worry about being precise with your meaning. Precise in what way? What do you want to convey to your readership? Who’s your target audience? Why are you writing? Answer these questions and your writing will be supremely meaningful and precise toward your writing goals.

I think you actually present some very informative and reasoned arguments as well that are well sourced. I say have more confidence and you’ll be a nobel laureate some day. If that’s what you want. That’s the biggest problem most of us talented contemplatives have. How can you possibly choose what you want when you have the potential to have everything?

I want to answer these questions for fun. How are my thoughts textured? By all the impressions from the real and tangible world with a sexy veneer of endless possibility and infinite ideas. My thoughts are like Obsidian. Does everyone have these evolutionary layers? On behalf of everyone…probably. But most people stop at the first few comfortable and simple ones. Do I have access to the way they move? No. But they have access to the way I move. Do you care? I don’t understand the question. What is the balance of words, images, sensations and sounds? Pure unfettered thought. Free thought encompasses all of these things and is beautiful in the way it creates and makes the unreal real, the imagined manifest, the intangible corporeal and often times…they make my dick hard. How do I wrangle them? With my Texas drawl, baby. My thought patterns are bizarre. If not otherworldly. I think because they are impervious to categorization and conventional assemblage they resist patterning and therefore can objectively discern other patterns. They’re the mad scientist looking through the microscope at living organisms too small to comprehend my vastness and presence. I too am too small to recognize my own vastness and presence. Am I really here?

Interesting…

And what does that look like for you exactly?

No I have no opposition as such…
But I vaguely remember you yourself considered enfp, before going to intj, didn’t you? (after rejecting infj)