The Beautiful and Predictive Round Earth Theory

I’ve always found the idea of an expanding universe in which we occupy a tiny corner one that is enriching to my sense of spirituality and humanity. at only one known spot originates the sound of laughter and the wails of painful loss. This little rock. I don’t find that at all subtractive from my perspective of the meaningfulness of human life.

It’s diffucult for me to engage with religious arguments without breaching the terms of use of this forum, and i do see flat earth theory as represented in the conspiracy theory thread as nothing more or less than full blown religious ideology, but i pretty much have to either exit the forum to prevent myself from engaging, or do something like this, which is a redirect of my energy toward the astoundingly compelling theoretical model of the solar system supported by scientific thinkers of all religious or nonreligious identities.

so check this out. these guys built a visible solar system approximately to scale in 7 miles of desert.

link if it doesnt show

Te & Ti runs amok. Very good! (formerly: Flat Earth, Spirituality, and the nature of Reality & Epistemology)

I love outer space stuff!!!
I always lament a bit about how much I hate math, because maybe I could have been an astrophysicist and did space stuff!
The scale is so massive that the human mind can barely grasp it.

I also really enjoy the significance found in ultimate insignificance. The sentiment of the pale blue dot image:

This, and things like pictures of galaxies just makes me pause in awe for a while:

(true-colour small portion photo of the Milky Way Galaxy! So cooooool!!!)

And scale videos like this are always fun to watch:

Link

Do you actually HATE math? I hear this phrase a lot and it always surprises me because I have trouble thinking of a time I HATED art or HATED any subject and I guess it amazes me how common it is to talk like this about math and why math has such a special hatred receiving status lol.

I got good grades when I tried, and I was good at memorizing formulas–and solving for angles or circles in trig was sometimes fun, but I find math in general incredibly tedious. It’s like the ultimate Ti task, which gets overwhelming or irritating if I spend too much time with it (despite my liking stats/information in general!) and I would rather have someone else solve those things for me while I think about the grander implications haha.

But I also hate "research and “writing essays” because of having to do citations and bibliographies, even though I’d say I was relatively good at that stuff too… I think maybe overall I just don’t like Ti-grind tasks like that too much. My hates much like my loves are often very pure and uncomplicated, much like a child may “hate” veggies lol.

I think most people hate math though because they do have a hard time keeping track of numbers and logic-ing it out. It’s disorienting and stressful for some people. Math gets pretty abstract when most general people just wanna deal with the concrete. I don’t mind that math is abstract, but I do glaze over when it requires a lot of tedious “work” to get to the abstract proofs and concepts etc. Thank goodness other people enjoy it enough that we get to have all the neat tech we do today!

Yeah that sounds boring. Hmmm. I think almost nobody gets to experience an interesting math class in high school. And it’s a shame. No context given for anything or any motivation.

I can’t get the first sentence of my response out because it keeps sounding overly assumptive so

– granting that it’s probably incredibly hard to teach 30 kids math

– and further granting : not to mention the public education system in the US being a pretty uninspiring place to work with colleagues who may or may not be any good and who may or may not be happy doing what they are doing, plus weird regulatory stuff limiting teachers from risking anything beyond what they are supposed to do, or what can be blamed on pearson when it fails,

– And given that I’m not totally sure there is any better way to learn math and kinda wonder if I didn’t actually have One phenomenal Math teacher in highschool who I absolutely hated because I was certain he was wasting my time with his story problems and weird introductions (I should call that guy and ask what it’s really like),

It sure seems like math could be taught in a better way, probably by taking a statistics -first approach, Or more specifically taking a page from the growing trend in US higher Ed statistics courses to run the course without a calculator and without much calculation. The best schools in the country and the ones with enough money to fund a statistics department separate from math are the ones who do this best.

But my experience with this world says that math teachers who get it, who can really set a kids mind alight with the beauty of mathematics, do not fit in the system. Even in the aforementioned statistics courses in higher Ed, whenever universities attempt to use a "statistical analysis " approach as opposed to the quantitative, calculator driven traditional approach, they run into an issue where any adjunct who teaches the course and is a math professor, not a statistics professor of their departments grooming, has a visceral hatred for the course structure. Like having a linguist (to put it kindly, a grammar teacher seemed too harsh a metaphor) teach a lit course.

My math friend started teaching some calculus stuff to whoever wanted at work a couple years ago. Just chalk on a chalkboard and him describing all the weirdest stuff he could think of. He started coming prepared with little thirty minute Lectures. It was like watching a magician. It was incredibly fun.

I do think math profs from the applied to the theoretical are valuable contributors (as are linguists and grammar teachers!) But there seems to be a different than average Brain that survives in the system of math Ed today.

Still , math literacy, stat-way and quant-way, these are massive movements in higher education away from the traditional math approach so look those up if ur interested in whats happening.

wow I had a surprisingly hard time following your post. i reread it like 5 times:) but it was fascinating because i wanted to keep rereading. i’m still rereading it!

Okay, so when people teach art in school, it’s because they think anyone can appreciate art, it’s like one of the human treasures…
But math tends to be treated like something very utilitarian. So people get taught calculus for example. Foundation for physics later or whatever. It’s okay but if you’re gonna be needing it you can catch up in college as a math major.
But calculus came pretty late. There are simpler more accessible subjects one could see in high school. Like number theory. Hey NUMBERS. You can’t do any number theory whatsoever without being blown away by a certain beauty. Never done in the schools. I think it’s the best entry subject because it teaches right away how much non-number comes into it.
Algebra is also a good subject. And that is taught in probably the most boring way ever usually. They divide up the subject into a few hundred days…looks like a bunch of separate unmotivated techniques. But you know algebra and number theory connect! Wouldn’t it be nice to see a connection. But yeah they teach it like let’s slice this cake into 1 million pieces and we’ll only look at one little piece at a time.
I’m not sure what the solution is.
I’d almost say doing math 3 days a week only would already be a start. Honestly! That would be my first proposal. Teehee. Don’t knock people out into a stupor.
The other idea is of course don’t make all problems all the same. You can assign 40 problems of a proscribed type or assign 10 problems where 1 problem in there is a wild card (no we don’t tell you how to do it go have some fun let’s try it ). So boring the way they don’t teach problem solving.

oh and my pet-peeve…students don’t learn graphing…it’s a deal breaker almost, and i say that in the sense that it kills off many of the connections you can make along the way.

i sometimes think school is just baby-sitting…even in high school…

high school feels like “life on hold” so kids are there doing math every day for what years on end, even in high school.

@johnonymous
how much math should be mandatory…it just seems that making it voluntary would solve quite a few problems. teehee.

when i was round-earth believer, i used to love this video.

for the thread’s sake. i’ll just act like the earth is round just to satisfy the idea.

this video is pretty cool. i used to watch many of this pastor’s video. i used to enjoy his sermons.

okay, time to go! see ya later later later!

I think you said you teach dev math / council terrified nontraditional students on their potential in spite of the fact that the chapter on Fractions in the 095 course is keeping them from pursuing Their dream job…? Maybe? I bet you have a better perspective on whether math should be required or not than I do, If you work with students in that kind of way.

Having a hard time with math was always an issue of effort for me. I got a D+ in AP Calculus as a college sophomore then took three practice tests the two days before the AP test, learned calculus, and got a 4/5 on the test. Haven’t taken math since but when I worked in higher ed publishing I learned how the post calculus world looks (linear/ number theory/ proofs ) … But basically I tend to think math could be taught more interestingly but that people should just try harder If it’s hard.

Mathy hard things are always doable for me with enough effort so I think I make a false equivalence between my own occasional struggle with the details of mathematics and someone else’s. Basically I have found it really useful to have a basic gist of algebra and calculus and geometry. X10 since I’ve been doing computer programming but before that too as a writer/sales dude.

Also super cooooool:

The National Science Foundation, which poured $1 billion into LIGO over 40 years, responded with pride. “This is exactly what we hoped for from N.S.F.’s investment in LIGO: taking us deeper into time and space in ways we couldn’t do before the detection of gravitational waves,” Frances Cordova, the foundation’s director, said in a statement. “In this case, we’re exploring approximately 3 billion light-years away!”

In the latest LIGO event, a black hole 19 times the mass of the sun and another black hole 31 times the sun’s mass, married to make a single hole of 49 solar masses. During the last frantic moments of the merger, they were shedding more energy in the form of gravitational waves than all the stars in the observable universe.

After a journey lasting 3 billion light-years, that is to say, a quarter of the age of the universe, those waves started jiggling LIGO’s mirrors back and forth by a fraction of an atomic diameter 20 times a second. The pitch rose to 180 cycles per second in about a tenth of a second before cutting off.

So much science and maths involved!

@lunar
Not everyone appreciates art actually! There are many students in art classes who would rather not be there. I this it’s just an aptitude x interest thing. I suppose a “good teacher” could make anything interesting, but a lot of people are not open to becoming interested in the first place, so it’s a constant battle.

I think I learned or was introduced to it in interesting ways (or I had natural interest in such things as limits, asymptotes, imaginary numbers, etc.). So I can appreciate it or have a a bit of interest in the mechanics, but I still do not want to do the actual “work” . lol I pretty much remembered enough to pass tests (I got 90s for the highschool maths and my stats university course, so I understood most of it and had enough feigned/mustered interest to learn and execute it) but as soon as it’s over, my brain is flushed and cleared again. I feel the same way about coding. Wish I could maintain genuine interest, but alas… I will just marvel at the skills of others instead and possibly pay them to program or math things for me lol.

Yeah I get that. I think I hear “I hate math” so often that I end up marveling at how often. You hear a lot more people going around hating math than any other subject (I think, can’t prove it). But yeah nobody gonna be interested in everything.

23 posts were split to a new topic: Flat Earth, Spirituality, and the nature of Reality & Epistemology

Te & Ti runs amok. Very good! (formerly: Flat Earth, Spirituality, and the nature of Reality & Epistemology)

It IS all illusion :slight_smile:

@Stewart is upside down relative to some of us? Most definitely a cartoon:)

so
you think I should
express my opinion
about your opinion
and you feel I should
share my feelings
about your feelings

meanwhile
the planet is spinning
at 1042 miles per hour
it might be easier
if this thing would hold still
and if it was flat
all these varying degrees
of right side up
or upside down
glued to a ball
diametrically opposed
to the other side
and without gravity
I might fall headfirst
into a sea of clouds

but I suppose tomorrow
it will make another rotation
and we’ll have another day
and then we should talk
about our day
because
that’s what people do

no wonder we’re all

so tired