what have you gotten from your astrological chart?

Whats one thing or two things you personally have gained or come to better understand about yourself from reading your natal charts or transit charts?

thats all you must read to respond to this query if you are sick of my long ass posts. :beers:

I notice that most folks who join stellarmaze forum express a similar lack of experience with astrology, and–i also sense (or project)–an on-average openish intellectual skepticism toward it. Blake also doesnt seem to prefer shoving it down my throat as i would prefer (information overload being my ideal learning style) so ive been forced to like, i dunno, chat (typo, chart, but ill leave chat as its also true) my own course through it.

i have come to two possible resting points on the subject, one in which i hold some space for possible spiritual mechanics that i dont really understand and that my general epistemological modus operandi dissallows… and the other being a little like the way i think of ink blots or tarot cards, which is to say, i can see astrological movements as a way for my mind to reveal itself to itself.

im pretty sure its been valuable over all to gain an astrological understanding of myself, and im greatful to blake for his general existence and notfuckngthisup-ness (i put it that way because i always feel like @blake is about to fuck this all up and pull the plug and delete everything, so sounds like a low bar but sometimes not fucking up something you set in motion is a very high bar so for reals, thanks) and im greatful to @piggy for my first reading here which gave me a sense of how one can interpret the planets and add it together usefully, and where the fuck are you anyway, :pig:?

something ive gained is specifically an appreciation for the idea that my personality is in fact one sided and bloated in the top left, houses 9-12, with the exception of my north node sitting over there in wendell berry land as i like to think of the fourth house. and ive come to think of my current efforts in dadding and husbandry, sans animals, along with contemporaryish Saturn return, as a healthy, temporary but long term focused North Nodian reach. the idea of myself as a constelation of divergent impulses and archetypes in motion has helped me consider what is both healthy and growth oriented about a stage in my life that feels to be a holding pattern. or i should say it used to feel that way but kind of doesnt now. planets are so slow. but not.

Astrology is a mystery to me. But honestly so is life.

The primary thing I personally gained from my astrological chart is the realisation that astrology is a real and useful discipline. I was sceptical of it for many years, but when I met my ENTP partner, for some reason he kept pointing me in the direction of astrology, until I finally gave in and began to study it in depth. How his intuition knew that I would benefit from it is a complete mystery to me, since he has only a passing knowledge of the subject himself.

Once I learned how to read my own chart, I gained:

1. A sense of wonder and delight at how extraordinarily accurately the various chart factors described my character and life experiences.

2. A much better understanding of myself, including unconscious motivations and hidden archetypal factors.

Following this, I started to read the charts of my friends and family, and my respect for astrology continued to grow as the readings were generally accurate and insightful. The final convincer for me was when a reading felt wrong to me, and I asked the subject to check their birth details. Every time this happened they found that the details they had been given by parents were incorrect, and once the true birth time and date were entered, the chart suddenly began to make sense.

That told me a birthchart was describing something real and physical in nature; it could not be merely psychological or I would not have been able to detect that something was off. I probably had an advantage here, due to my analytical chemistry skills and experience. I have basically spent all of my working life reading complex data and subtle patterns from analytical instrumentation, and drawing real-world conclusions from the test results. It’s the same skill-set that enabled me to learn how to read and synthesise the wealth of symbolic information in astrological charts.

As for how it works, I have many theories about this (no surprises there!), but they are all highly speculative and hard to prove. At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter to me exactly how it works, merely that it does. This is a typical INJ non-answer, I’m afraid! Ni can simultaneously believe and not-believe in something, but if it finds astrology to be useful or interesting that is all that matters.

Yes. For MBTI, astrology, new age shit, even hardcore science and in-your-face physical reality. I find that amazingly most other people lack this capability.

Now that I think about it, it’s kind of like children’s ability to willingly suspend disbelief. Sort of like them sitting in a cardboard box and pretending it is a plane.

I would say the most important benefit from reading my natal chart is its value in providing clarity as to future aspirations.

Ie:

Career:

Sun in XI
The friendships you establish are crucial to your development. If you identify too much with your friendships and your friendliness, you may become too impersonal and alienate those who would like to get close to you. Successful career thanks to support of patrons, friends or relations. You are a leader in groups and people look up to you.

Jupiter in Libra

He attracts the most good fortune when he is fair-minded, treats others with equality, is bending without being a doormat, is gracious, and uses his talents at promoting and mediating. Values people and relationships, and might succeed best in partnership. Relating as equals is important to you. The arts, architecture, law, math, mediating, and politics are possible avenues for success. Use of charm and grace to reach goals.

Yep agreed no science, tech, programming where I suck.

Jupiter in IX

Deeply intelligent, he is tolerant and sincere. Professional success can happen abroad or in connection with foreign countries. Faraway voyages are profitable.

Yup, I plan to migrate to California once I’ve graduated. No idea how I’m gonna get there though. But my instincts say this foreign thing is spot on.

Neptune in I

He is intuitive, sensitive. Not a fighter and is indecisive. May have some identity problems until he decides on a more spiritual or artistic path. May be psychic or simply strongly intuitive. Gentle and yielding.

Yep.

House II in Aquarius

Success in professional life won’t take place without the help of friends and protectors. While he might earn enormous amounts, he can lose as much if not even more. Best financial success through networking with others. Might succeed in business on the internet. Most profitable businesses may be unusual or innovative ones. Efforts should be made to better organize finances.

House X in Libra

Contacts of all kinds will lead to social success, professional, through marriage etc… Likes society life, friendships that could help professionally. Sometimes jobs connected with justice, but always involved with important and influential people.

In other words, I need guanxi.

Capricorn Ascendent

Capricorn rising people are generally big on family, and forever worry about security–for themselves and their dependents. They come across to others as hard-working, competent, and dependable people. What others may not see under that cool, even suave, exterior, is an inner struggle: they often ask themselves, “Am I doing enough?”, “Do I deserve all of this?”, “How can I make things better?” They worry a lot about the future. If success seemed to have come easy to these folks, it hasn’t. They just made it look that way with a patient, hard-working, driven personality. Some Capricorn rising people practice some form of self-denial. They know how to do away with the frivolous. Still, they’ll spend money on the clothes they really want (the ones with the right labels, that is), and other status symbols. Although they’re rarely showy, their quiet air of success is often a result of conscious effort. More often than not, Capricorn rising individuals are success stories. Their childhoods may have been difficult, but they slowly but surely turn their lives around. Saturn rules this Ascendant, and this generally means a kind of backwards way of living–as children, they are serious and bear a lot of responsibility; and as they grow up, they age beautifully, learning how to loosen up.

Basically means I need to loosen up and start to live more irresponsibly. 10/10 for recommendation, sounds good.

Here are some excerpts from my recently purchased Astrodienst Psychological Horoscope that are particularly relevant and insightful. I’ve added my take on which astrological factors are being considered in each section. (Sorry, this is quite long!)

The gifts of objectivity and civilised behaviour (Sun in Sagittarius, Moon in Gemini)

You possess the gift of a clear, strong and objective mind, and you are a lover of truth and integrity in all your dealings. You will always favour reason over chaos, and principles over personal reactions. But there is considerable conflict within you - a dilemma between your rational, detached spirit and your intense and sometimes overpowering feeling. Another way of describing your nature might be to say that you tend to live in your head - because it seems safer, more civilised, and more “decent” - yet your heart often contradicts what your mind tells you you “ought” to feel, leaving you confused and vaguely guilty about “bad” or “selfish” reactions. Although you may not be an intellectual in the conventional sense of the word, you are naturally quick and articulate, and possess an impressive capacity to assess, weigh and analyse diverse facts and ideas objectively and fairly. This has probably earned you the reputation of being broad-minded, reflective, ethical and considerate of others’ points of view. You are also an excellent planner and can transform chaos into order with the penetrating power of your mind. What you do not wish others to know about you, and what you often try to hide from yourself, is that your real feelings give you a completely different and much more subjective picture of life and of others - and these neglected feelings are often more genuinely perceptive than your usually reliable mind.

Objectivity struggles with the power of emotional needs (Sun conjunct Mars & Venus in Sagittarius, and conjunct Mercury in Capricorn, Houses IX and VIII, opposite Moon in Gemini, House II)

You tend sometimes to overvalue the gifts of the mind, and as a result you may betray your own needs and lose contact not only with what is right for you personally, but with what is right for others as well. Because you look at the general pattern, you are liable to miss essential needs in yourself which may vary from one situation to another. Your emotional nature is powerful, raw, and extremely sensitive; and it may periodically throw you into depressed moods, fits of inexplicable irritability or anger, or feelings of loneliness and melancholy which you are unable to analyse or explain. And you may also overlook another dimension of the realm of the heart which you fear so much: those mystical feelings of longing for letting go and experiencing a more infinite cosmos of love and serenity. Personal love and mystical longing lie close together within you, and if you can find the courage to balance your powerful mental abilities with a greater openness to your own humanity, you will find that intimate relationship opens doors of a deeper and more profound kind - not just love of one person, but love of people and of life itself. You have built a carefully controlled, detached and tolerant personality, and are adept at understanding another’s perspective. But this outer surface is very fragile, and you must expend a considerable amount of energy preserving such a front when your real feelings are bubbling away underneath. Your assessment of your emotional life may be a distorted and overly negative one, and perhaps the parental values in which you were brought up have contributed to your harsh judgement on anything within you which is less than perfect or ideal. You will in the long run be far happier and more fulfilled if you can allow others to see and experience your great emotional sensitivity and depth.

One of the most creative methods which you might use to make better friends with your feelings is the willingness to give more time and space for their expression through channels which you know to be safe - such as writing, painting images of moods or emotional states, working with clay, expressing feelings through music or dance. These very personal pursuits, done for your understanding alone and not for the benefit of an audience, can help you to learn more about yourself, and also help you to see that your feelings are as important and valid as your ideas. Try to say no when you mean no, for the tyranny of “oughts” and “shoulds” over your real needs can only lead to an accumulation of resentment and anger at having to be a civilised and reasonable person all the time. You need to learn love and compassion for yourself first of all, for otherwise your humanitarian and democratic ideals cannot be grounded in your actual life. Because you always seek to understand things from the broadest and clearest perspective possible, you possess the unique ability to find meaning and sense in your own personal dilemmas which are relevant to others and to the human condition in general - and thus have a great gift to offer others, if you can learn to confront your own heart without fear.

The spirit of eternal youth dominates the stage (Sun in Sagittarius opposite Moon in Gemini)

Whatever your actual age, there is something in you which will never grow old. Life is a perpetual unfinished novel for you, in which anything could lie around the next corner; and even if you carry considerable worldly responsibilities, you carry them lightly, always feeling as though somehow it isn’t yet the real thing, but only a practise run - while the limitless potential within you has yet to be fully actualised. Thus you tend to live a kind of provisional life, never fully contented, never fully arrived. This quality of viewing life as a series of steps toward an unknown future tends to make you restless in the best and worst senses. You will never settle into stagnant complacency dreaming of the glories of your youth, for you carry your youth whithin you and will be receptive to change and new ideas all your life. But you also have a tendency to leave behind those projects and people with which you have become bored, and are therefore inclined to walk away before the fruits of your labours are realised; for the next pasture always seems greener. As the old proverb says, it is better to travel than to arrive - at least, better in your eyes.

The craving for unbounded horizons (Sun in Sagittarius, House IX, conjunct Mars and Venus in Sagittarius, House VIII)

Freedom means everything to you. The curious thing is that, if you are given enough of it, you are as capable as the next person of living a relatively peaceful life (at least, within limits); for you are not quite as wildly rebellious as you sometimes like to give the impression of being. But it is your restless mind and spirit that seek the freedom to travel the globe, metaphorically at least, in search of bizarre and exotic adventures. You are an easy-going personality, and if left alone with plenty of room to come and go as you wish, you do not try to control or interfere with the lives of others - although there is a mischievous edge in you which enjoys provoking the more staid people in your environment. But let someone try to curtail what you consider your inviolable freedom, and a different and much less charming person emerges. A streak of extreme perversity appears in you, and you are capable of an explosive temper and a lot of sound and fury. It is the idea of being told what to do, the idea of submitting to another’s demands, and the idea of unnecessary restrictions which make you madder than a hornet.

You are likely to be knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects while being deeply versed in none of them. But your broad, far-seeing and intuitive mind is more stimulating to many people than a focussed and concentrated one which lacks vision. Vision, in fact, is a keyword for you, for you possess a lot of it, and find people tiresome and irritating who cannot look beyond their own doorsteps. You also dislike emotional demands when they come your way, for you feel trapped and uncomfortable being made responsible for someone else’s happiness. It is the idea of love that appeals to you, and the adventure of romance; but the reality is often a little disappointing, because the moment you are called upon to adjust, compromise and understand another, you start eyeing the distant hills longingly. It is not that you are incapable of love or deep feeling. But your feelings come and go just as your inspirational ideas do, and when they are not there, no force on earth - particularly not another person’s emotional demonstrations - will call them forth.

Idealism and vision struggle against authority of all kinds (Sun in Sagittarius, House IX trine Uranus in House V, both vs Saturn in House X)

You enjoy kicking at anything which seems to you staid, rigid or antiquated. This can sometimes make you the enemy of authority, and you no doubt have a rather chequered past full of little episodes where you fell foul of the presiding powers in some way. Although time has brought you greater self-control and tolerance, time has not lessened your belief in your right to freedom on the most basic level. You resent being treated like a child by a heavy-handed parent, even if on occasion your behaviour is downright childish. There is a progressive and visionary quality to your thinking which rejects hypocrisy, narrow-mindedness and conventional roles - particularly sexual roles. Your approach to life contains a curious combination of romanticism and cynicism - romantic because you are a perfectionist who believes that life could be better and more meaningful (which means you will never just put up with a situation for the sake of security or conventional morality), and cynical because you have little faith in permanence, particularly in the realm of the heart (which means you will not risk allowing yourself to need others too much). You have a biting and ironic sense of humour, about everything except yourself; and you can be a little too proud and touchy where your own self-image is concerned. Thus, despite the liberality of your ideas, you are capable of considerable intolerance, particularly toward more conservative folk who fail to understand your beliefs and your lifestyle. You are always a little ahead of society, and the things in which you believe will no doubt become generally socially acceptable in twenty years’ time - by which time you will have become bored with them and moved on to something else. You are a true visionary, with a broad and universal outlook. But you need to be careful not to imagine yourself a misunderstood genius, for you can be abrupt and impatient if your talents are not immediately acknowledged, or your creative offerings not valued in the marketplace.

The vision of life as an endless set of possibilities (Sun in Sagittarius, Moon in Gemini)

Thus your considerable imaginative and intellectual gifts combine with a restless, volatile personality to produce one of life’s eternally wandering spirits. This should not be taken too literally, for you need some material stability in your life as much as anyone does, and would particularly benefit from owning your own home - a place where you can retreat in privacy and express your own taste and style. But you are a wanderer in the inner sense, for you digest experiences and then move on to seek new ones, looking and looking for something - and it is some thing, not some one as you might imagine - which heralds the call of destiny, the sign from above, the recognition that you have at last arrived. The probability is that you will never arrive, for your unique gift and your unique problem are the same: You prefer the journey. Although you have a hard time with self-discipline, commitment, responsibility and authority, you will never find life boring, for you see lessons and opportunities for growth and secret signs everywhere; and the happy thing about such perceptions is that, if you can learn the art of sticking with something long enough to finish it, you can produce relevant and exciting creative products which vindicate your deep sense of your own special destiny.

The need for accepting mortal limits (Ascendant in Taurus vs Sun in Sagittarius)

Thus your eternally youthful spirit, with its vivacity, restlessness and originality, is balanced by an equally important but hidden side of you which is slower, earthier, less articulate, and considerably more traditional and ordinary. You fear displaying your shadow-side to others partly because its values are so different from yours; and partly because you are frightened of being rejected and thought boring and ordinary. Because of your unease in the face of real material challenges, you fly up into the realm of potentials, living in a kind of perennial “One day when I grow up…” dream-world. But much of this flight masks your fear of failure and incompetence in the eyes of the world. You are a gifted and far-seeing individual who can truly achieve something extraordinary. But you will need to accept some of the rules and limits of ordinary life, including your own needs; for life will not, in the end, exempt you. No matter how talented you are, and how special, you are subject to the same conflicts, fears and needs - particularly of security and belonging - as your fellows. When you are able to truly accept your own limits, you are likely to find much greater inner serenity.

The need to contribute to the human family (Jupiter in Aquarius, House XI)

Concepts such as “humanity” and “society”, which are merely abstract terms to many people, are very meaningful to you. Humanity is not only an idea in your experience, but a living reality; and the events which touch your personal life are immediately translated into broader and more general perspectives, for you cannot conceive of yourself as a separate and detached entity divorced from the common body of humanity. You are part of a human family, and your sense of purpose and worth is derived chiefly from the feeling that you have contributed something to that family. With your strong impulse to reform people in accord with your ideals, you incline toward more revolutionary or radical views of how things ought to be in the world; and you may be frequently heard speaking about issues such as human rights, oppression of minorities, individual responsibility to society, and the evils of class structure and rampant materialism. There is little in your life that is not in some way permeated by your ideals.

The job which earns you a salary but does not contribute anything meaningful or relevant to the society is probably not for you; and if you are stuck in such a situation you are liable to become depressed, restless and unhappy. Life will eventually challenge you on the issue of the limits of human nature, and on these limits within your own nature. You may need, sooner or later, to accept - at least to some extent - the laws of the world in which you find yourself; for your ideas and opinions are inevitably twenty to forty years too premature and also far too high in their expectations for human beings to reach as rapidly as you believe. Because you are not especially interested in the emotional life of individuals, except as a reflection of the effects of social movements and historical trends, you tend to undervalue or even ignore how individual people, including yourself, really feel about things. The welfare of the group is usually more important to you. Often you can, at least in your mind, justify the means by the end, condoning on a rational level individual distress in the name of social evolution. But despite this darker face of your high ideals, you are a civilised and humanitarian soul, truly and deeply concerned with the welfare of the world you live in.

The hidden figure contrasting to this bright, restless personality is a much more conventional and conservative character. This figure has already been fairly described, and there is no need to repeat here what has already been said.

Facing the criticism of the collective (Saturn in Capricorn, House X)

There is one area of your life where any effort you make to confront and overcome your anxieties will always result in an increased sense of strength and self-respect - even if you do not always succeed. You need to face your fear of the world’s criticism, and your tendency to sabotage your creative efforts out of a deep need to be approved of by society; for your sensitivity to the opinions of others can, if backed with genuine self- confidence, earn you a position of considerable success and responsibility. You have a tendency to “sell out” rather than taking risks and expressing your talents in your own original way, and the roots of this tendency lie in your early life and your relationship with a mother who was perhaps too conventional herself to understand your more individualistic ideas and feelings. But if you can find the courage to go after your dream, risking failure and collective disapproval, you will find that your self-esteem increases greatly merely by the effort. You have unique abilities to offer others, and it does you no justice to pretend to be less than you are because you are frightened of a “What will they think?” type of criticism which might have hurt you in childhood but cannot truly harm you now.

Thus one of your chief fears - of material failure and incompetence in the eyes of others - can become an indestructible base on which you build a unique and enduring personal philosophy. For in making the effort to ground your vision and ideas in tangible and useful forms, you will not only discover great strength and self-discipline in yourself. You will also create practical channels through which your higher and broader picture of life can be contributed to those searching for a faith that stands up to life’s tests.

What I’ve learned?? To sum it up: I’m a hermit who’s on fire so I should probably run out of my cave and maybe discover my Fe-Ni-Ne-Se thang and kick some butt :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Like this:

Is this how you see me?? :wink::kissing_heart:

Grab a tiger by the tail, hang on tight to your Sun-Wand-Thingy and ride the fiery waves into the burning Heavens, all while wearing an outrageous hat and absolutely nothing else - sure, why not?!

:fire: :tiger2: :volcano:

When you put it like that…who could say no to that offer lool?? :volcano::tiger2: Certainly not an enfj!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Are there such things as death charts? What significance is there to the date and time of your death?

Yes, there is much to be derived here! I suspect the bias toward birth charts stems from economic necessity—the dead are so smug about this stuff it’s hard to get them to care about a damn thing—which basically suppresses demand and causes a long term gap in astrological skills for death charts. I’m sure plenty of astrologers have given up on the market after not getting paid by one too many dead INFJs. Fool me once…

Yeah, uh sorry. It was a serious question for the sake of studying someone’s life span. Mark Twain was born and died with Halley’s Comet. That’s interesting to me. I’m actually surprised there isn’t more information on “death charts”. As random as birth is, death is equally so. I guess it just shows us how interested people are in objects in a picture rather than the whole image. And also how selfish we are.

I think death charts are done, at least on some occasions, like I’m sure some astrologers have done “what the celestials were aligned with on the day Princess Diana died”. But maybe it seems like it’s harder to know when someone died for sure to an accurate hour. Especially in the past.

I also think the subject of deatha nd predicting it is avoided because causes too much anxiety in most people to say like “you will die through these means on this day”. You know people will paranoia themselves into a bad life with that in the back of their minds. lol

But astrological charts can be interpreted with “end of life” things in mind. There were always things like that, especially when it comes to conjunctions with “malevolent” fixed stars. Something like Spica conjunct Uranus would often be interpreted as “sudden unexpected death” or Mars conjunct with Algol or something might me “death by beheading” lol. I ASSUME this was after some observations with correlations were already made, but who knows.

In Vietnamese culture, birthdates are often not recorded, at least traditionally. Whatever year you were born and that zodiac animal is all they care about. But death anniversaries to the correct date are kept in mind for at least a couple of generations because of an ancestor worship culture. So people don’t know when they were born, but everyone else knows when they die. It’s a pretty interesting contrast.