Your soul albums

Let’s have a slumber party and watch this!!! Ha. I keep watching clips and I wanna see it again now.

Last night I watched Grumpier Old Men. Have you seen those movies with Jack Lemon, Stewart? They’re cute.

With all the recent bush talk around these parts…

I can’t decide which I prefer

Bush 4 lyfe!

Now I’m a bit freaked out, as I was also going to post these Cloudbusting videos! Anyway, here are some other great versions of Kate’s classic song:

I don’t have an album, but I discovered EDM music about a year ago, and it has had a huge impact on my life. Specifically the EDM flavors of Trap, Dubstep, Bass, and some Trance. I love the complexity and texture of the music. I really like the darker, heavier, throbbing, tracks. The bigger the Drop, the more I love it. Are there any other EDM fans on here?

Here are my favorites (I have listened to all of those more than 100 times haha for sure)

The Who - Who’s Next, Tommy and Quadrophenia
When people ask me, “which one is better, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?” I always reply, “The Who, of course”. The fathers of opera rock, with a strong sense of humor and much more charismatic than other classic rock artists IMO.

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
My favorite Dylan album, hands down. So many great songs here… Pledging My Time, Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat, Obviously Five Believers, Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands… essential.

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation and Goo

Green Day - Dookie (This album probably isn’t very interesting for people who aren’t in their teens or 20s, but it has a special place in my heart because I’ve listened to it during all my childhood and teenage years. The album’s themes revolve a lot around self-discovery, and it has catchy classics like Longview, Welcome to Paradise and Basket Case)

Garbage - Garbage

The Cure - Disintegration, Seventeen Seconds and Wish

Elliott Smith - Either / Or, XO, Figure 8

Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside of Me, Science Fiction

Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses, Violator

Björk - Debut, Hegemonic

Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R, Songs for the Deaf, …Like Clockwork

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks…(1977)

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures, Closer

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am… (2006), AM (2013)

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Master of Reality

Radiohead - Kid A, OK Computer, Amnesiac, A Moon Shaped Pool

Muse - Origin of Symmetry, Absolution

/
Those are just some albums I think are so good that I consider “must listen’s”. I probably forgot something.

A very eclectic and interesting selection, @Thelema!

I’m familar with most of the bands/albums you’ve listed, and a few are also on my favourites list:

Björk
Joy Division
New Order
The Cure
The Who

Don’t know if I already posted this but while I’m going through old threads I should admit that my ultimate soul album is Cursive’s The Ugly organ. The music changed my soul I think for sure.

Art is hard is not my favorite of all songs but it’s the best song about Indy rock and the 2003 Emo or whatever moment:

“Gotta sink gotta sink gotta sink to swim
Emmerse yourself in rejection
Regurgitate some sorry tale
About a boy who sells his love affairs
You gotta fake fake fake the pain
You gotta make make make a scene
You gotta break break break a leg
And when you get on stage, here them screaming your name: oh cursive is so cool!

I recently lost a teenage INFJ to suicide. Reminds me of my own teenagehood and years of storm, sadness, and confusion in young adulthood. Still have them from time to time.

This song captivates these sorts of feelings. Confusion awakening upon adolescence.

The whole album:

Anyone like rap? Phew, this shit is hot…

Oh yeah, hot and heavy!
Reminds a little of the divine Missy Elliott:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=anrAcQG_4fs

More fabulousness from Miz Demeanour and friends:

Latest EDM mix from the legendary Paul Oakenfold:

“To call for hands up above, to lean on
wouldn’t be good for me, no.”

Love: even god can’t help me now.

“Tender is night for a broken heart
Who will dry your eyes, when it falls apart?”

I think Kendrick is the real deal for sure

and the other real deal is earl sweatshirt

And
Since that last one ends with Vince staples and i think he’s also pretty real deal

I think all these guys are very talented and I think Kendrick Lamar is like, a once in a generation artist and some kind of prophet.

I would have never pegged you as a rap fan.

This is how I found Kendrick. Reeeeemixxxxx.

I wouldn’t be if rap didn’t start being so damn good lol

listen to “This Dick Aint Free” and straight into the next song on the album To Pimp a Butterfly and it’s like, OKAY OKAY FINE RAP.

WHILE I AM CONTINUING TO BE AT IT

The Grammy’s were kind enough to create a performance art piece in which we can observe (with effort) the difference between music that is art and music that is, uh, empty; they did so by contrasting the most serious super mega pop star, Kendrick Lamar, with perhaps literally the least serious pop stars, Imagine Dragons. This whole thing is worth watching. I think it’s beautiful like, in an unironic way, as it kind of does create the Ne dream scenario of putting two complex and sometimes mixed together things (good and bad popular music) next to each other and lets you look closely to see the difference.

Only thing missing from that grammys clip is like I seriously feel like the proper ending would have involved a crucifixion of Kendrick Lamar. You win some you lose some.

Here’s a screen grab of Katy Perry or somebody realizing she has blood on her hands for trying to dance to this shit at 4:29

(make sure you listen till at least 4:29 so you can feel like this too)

King Kunta is good. I like this one too.