STELLAR MAZE DISCUSSION FORUM

Your soul albums

Why has it taken more than 10 years for me to discover this fabulous disco-banger from the divine Sophie Ellis-Bextor?

In light of recent events, I think all these three guys are ISFPs.

And since we’re so ISFP today, here’s another one:

@TinyYellowTree, tell me if you recognize the first song. :wink:

Oh absolutely! Cool! I have her on my youtube playlist so hear her daily.

Born in the Soviet union (now Ukraine), Marina Maximilia has this ENFJ energy, I think. Anyways, she’s great.

Any INTJ music recommendations?

I’ve been listening to a bit of Vini Reilly these days. He might be INTJ just based on listening to his guitar work, but I have never really studied him in depth to be sure

I’m starting with The Return of the Durutti Column and LC. Fantastic for playing in background when doing NTish work :smiley:

The Return of the Durutti Column

LC

I found this song on an INTJ’s youtube page. I’d never heard of them before. So I don’t know about INTJ created, but INTJ favorite I think, or he would not have used it.

Hmm…I like it. I never heard of Moby before, but upon listening to a few of their songs, I think it could be INTJ music. One way to gauge the INTJness of music is whether you get a headache after a good hour of listening. :smiley: INTJ music is good in small doses. I feel that way with Vini Reilly, King Crimson, and Moby.

And I’ve never listened to Frame by Frame before, but me likes too. King Crimson, though. Sometimes they sound so inhumane that it drives me insane. Small doses man, small doses.

Or ENTJ rock. This is the opening track from Stoner Witch. It pretty much sounds like a splitting headache translated into music.

And it rules :metal:

I get a vision of a few guys in an alley… Some are throwing trash cans against the wall. One guy is repeatedly ramming his head into the dumpster. Another is smashing a can lid against another’s head. And someone else is skinning a dog alive.

Fantastic…

I know this may be many people’s soul album, but it definitely is one of mine.

I think you’d find a lot of INTJs in the math rock genre. King Crimson’s Discipline is considered one of the most influential albums on the genre. Robert Fripp, the main dude in Crimson, is INTJ. So is Brian Eno probaly. They made at least of couple of albums together too. One of them is called No Pussyfooting.

The Melvins are math-rockish.

So, INTJ = math rock, ENTJ = heavy math rock (or math metal).

xNTJ makes music that is heady, or headachey. Appeals to the head in some way. Kinda soulless. In the case of ENTJ, visceral and head-oriented. The Melvins are great example of this. Lot of math in their music. King Buzzo, the writer and leader of that band is certifiably ENTJ.

Steve Albini was considered influence in math rock genre. He’s definitely an INTJ.

Then we have John Parish (probable INTJ), one of my favorite guitarists, solely due to his collaboration with PJ Harvey on Dance Hall at Louse Point. I’ve never heard guitar used in the way he employs it on that album. The effect is oblique and haunting. And with PJ singing over it the effect is gorgeous and otherworldly.

Dance Hall at Louse Point is one of my favorite albums of all time. So, I’ll put it here since we’re in soul albums. It moves me on a very deep and unique level. And at least part of that has to do with how Parish plays guitar on it.

2 Likes

It ain’t that bad (the headache). I dig it :smiley:

OK that’s enough with xNTJ music. I give up. How about some NF music?

This isn’t a soul album, but a 21-minute suite for piano kinda counts.

And it’s played LIVE. Which is insane. Whoever is listening to classical piano by modern artists on studio recorded albums is doing it all wrong. Listen to the greats, like Richter, preferably from the Russian school in live recordings. Who has this sort of magic, strength of conviction, and dare to risk anymore?

I give you one of my favourite classical music recordings, you give me yours. :smiley: It can be anything.

Oh, don’t get me started on that!

Will listed to yours later. My favorite classical music composer is Georgy Sviridov. NF most def.

The first video has a few views and one like. Yes, the latter is mine. :smiley:

Hm, your choice is way more positive than mine.

When I listen to Richter, I hear Spring coming. Fast tiny springs of melting snow.

And Sviridov is deep Autumn. Mirky and muddy and fuckin’ depressing.

Just as I like it. Well, not really. Or do I… :thinking:

I guess I’m just into sad music. :smiley:

ACTUALLYYY, it is not Richter but Maurice Ravel who is the composer. Sviatoslav Richter is the pianist, perhaps one of the best in the world in the league of Horowitz, Arrau, etc. Famed for his strength of conviction. Master interpreter of all composers, pretty much. And I think Richter is E8 ENFJ just by listening to his piano playing. Interesting this guy, here’s a famous quote from him:

“The interpreter is really an executant, carrying out the composer’s intentions to the letter. He doesn’t add anything that isn’t already in the work. If he is talented, he allows us to glimpse the truth of the work that is in itself a thing of genius and that is reflected in him. He shouldn’t dominate the music, but should dissolve into it.”

“I am not a complete idiot, but whether from weakness or laziness have no talent for thinking. I know only how to reflect: I am a mirror … Logic does not exist for me. I float on the waves of art and life and never really know how to distinguish what belongs to the one or the other or what is common to both. Life unfolds for me like a theatre presenting a sequence of somewhat unreal sentiments; while the things of art are real to me and go straight to my heart.”

:star_struck: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I love Richter!

But yeah, I’ve always had a bias towards French impressionistic music, especially back in the days. It’s the colours. Debussy and Ravel are all about colours…Ravel’s orchestral music is filled with lush chords taking advantage of the unique tonalities of every instrument.

I suppose the French impressionists had their “sadder” and “darker” pieces, but you are right, they are inherently lighter and more positive than other works.

Then there’s sad, sad…like Mozart or Bach, sadness hiding behind light.

Haven’t listened yet, but I want to! Depressing sounds great :smiley: I’m going to play it later tonight.

But…in the mean time, how about PASSIONATE?!

Iconic, rockstar-level like performance. This video is a fucking cliche, but hey, it’s noteworthy:

Or…Chopin?

1 Like

Ok, gotta come clean! :raised_hands:

I reject classical music.

My soul is too primal for it.

I used to listen to it a lot when I was 10-12 years old. Audiotaped it from the radio. Sought out scores. Tried to play them. Then I switched to guitar, started listening to Nirvana, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey and so on, and never looked back. Until very recently, when I thought I’d go back and reacquaint myself with the classics. But to little avail! There are some pieces that move me, but overall there’s no resonance anymore.

I realized I cannot listen to music which is not built on circular rhythms. I always yearn for that meditative looping.

Whichever instrument I play, it’s always something rhythmic and repetitive.

I love leitmotives and I cannot stand progressive anything.

And I love folk music from all over the world.

Well, I guess I’m a pagan. :innocent:

Or a Templar. :smiling_imp:

Chopin was a genius though. No doubt.

1 Like

Ooh, I’ve got something else to come clean about too!

I don’t get Nirvana. Sorry, I can’t sympathise with Kurt Cobain. Just does not resonate with me. I mean, I’ve tried, and maybe I need to try a few more times. But every single time I get to Territorial Pissings, it’s like NOPE! BYEEEEE!

I think it’s Kurt’s effeminate vibes mixed with the histrionics. Not a good combo for me.

Don’t kill me, everyone! Welp! Byeee